Sucking down a tank quickly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just keep meaning more and more about whatever this thread is about... Haha.
I'm gonna I kind of agree either way. Everyone is different.

sent from my Galaxy S4 using tapatalk2!

Are you suggesting that there is NOT a connection between number of dives and more experience? Interesting concept.

Not always. Some learn faster, some dive in more challenging conditions. A diver with 1,000 dives in the shallow Keys sites is probably NOT as experienced as some one who does 100 dives around the world in tough conditions. As I said, some divers don't have the skills at 500-999 dives that others do at 0-24.

Oh, believe me. I understand that very well.
Then why attack him for his perceived lack of skill? He could be one of those natural divers, but you , without any basis other that that he is asking for help with a common problem, rushed to judgement and tried to tell him he didn't have the skill to dive with a camera. Fortunately, he didn't listen to you.

Nah. If I wanted to brag I'd have shared this photo of me excercising pinpoint bouyancy control while carrying a camera. And, I won't even mention that it took me nearly 1,000 dives to get to this level of expertise. ( I will leave off the "1,000 dives" partly to make you happy... but mostly because this picture was actually taken on logged dive #11.)l
so you used a camera at his same level of experience; yet want to stop him from doin the same? Hypocritical much?

But, I can see its just another excuse to thump your chest and crow about how great a diver you think you are.

I'm sure you we doing it on a rebreather while filming the wreck of Britanic for National Geographic. No big deal , we do it every day...
No, it was free-diving the Titanic. Need the DPV to get down fast. But close enough.

But RJP, I hear he just breathes the water...apparently when you have his number of dives, you become that good... :eye roll:

I want to introduce a few new terms here

"SCUBA BULLY"

Definition; A person who considers their opinion to be the only opinion worthwhile listening to. For those who don't accept their opinion and have a separate opinion, then attack attack attack. Tell people how stupid they are and praise ones self to the hilt. Suggest that anyone here who indicates they have significant experience and have a large number of dives under their belt that they are probably lying about this detail.

"SCUBA ANGEL"

Definition; A person who gives thoughtful advice freely and without attempting to offend. Doesn't wish to offend other people. Doesn't push their opinion on others but is prepared to support their comment with detail or apologise if they are wrong or have offended others. Is prepared to listen to and consider others opinions.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So before you respond to this email ask the question "Which personality would you like to be seen as?" then act accordingly

Last edited:
I only hit that "Zen" moment on about 1 in 3 dives right now (took eighteen months off weekly diving). When it happens, it is very nice. Takes a long time to be able to get to that place, but the time and effort is worth it.

Probably the most beneficial three hours I spent diving was training to go very slow and level. We were heading for the Yucatan and planned to dive the cenotes the next month.

I agree with what others have written. Also, try some yoga. Really, I know guys hate yoga but it really works!

I love yogurt tastes so yummy....................................................oh yoga. never tried it........... how does it taste :D

Tried meditation once and went to sleep.........................think I was too relaxed to get anything out of it :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Trolls. They're not just under bridges any more.

Sometimes they're under the water that those bridges span, frequently taking pictures and doing it with perfect bouyancy. From day 1.

Speaking as a new diver(I still haven't gotten my OW cert yet and its been almost a year, stupid timing and money things) I would just say keep practicing and diving it will come down as the tasks become second nature. I do alot of SCBA at work and I know that the first 20 times or so I kept sucking through my air like it was candy to a kid, now not so much unless I am working on something difficult and haven't experienced it yet.

I do a lot of photography on the side and fully plan to do underwater photography as my skills improve with scuba. Just after my first few pool sessions I decided I would wait on carrying a camera in my hands until I got my breathing, buoyancy and all the other thoughts going through my head down enough to have the extra bandwidth to handle thinking about taking a picture without adversely affecting the others. When exactly will this come I don't know but I plan to take my time. It is up to each individual to decide. Using a camera while diving may not be the main factor for an issue in other areas but it does play a role just like stress, sleep, fitness, hydration, mental ability, exposure, equipment and comfortability all play roles in ones ability.

As has been said if you need to do something to keep from sculling with your hands cross them across your chest. I don't cross them but I do tend to hold onto my shoulder straps when I notice I have been using my arms to adjust which is a habit I got from using SCBA.

You're still very new at this, it will take lots of time to get a better SAC rate.

I was worried about this when I first started diving. My instructors/mentors told me to just forget about it...just calm down and dive... and forget about it.
After many many dives, I found my SAC rate increased quite a bit as I became more comfortable with everything.

The goal is to get so comfortable diving, you breathe just as if you were laying on a couch watching TV.

Remember, it's not a contest to see who has more air left over. It's just about being relaxed and enjoying your dive regardless of how much air you use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom