Sudafed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I make my own stuff for the sinus rinse. Equal parts of baking soda and salt. Make sure the salt does not contain additional ingredients like iodine. Got the recipe a long time ago here on SB and have been using it for years. 1/2 teaspoon with warm water. I've used tap water without any issues. I fill up the bottle and micromwave for 30 seconds for a perfect temp.
Exact salt/bicarb. proportions not critical, the baking soda is just there as a buffer (I use ~2-3 parts salt/1 part bicarb). But you want the solution slightly hypertonic to help reduce swelling, so 1/2 tsp or a bit more in a cup of water is good (you can gradually increase the concentration over time, if needed, as your nose gets used to it). There is evidence of additional benefit with consistent use over several months for allergies/sinusitis, so if you need this, just bite the salt tablet and do it 1-2x every day. As for iodized salt, I keep seeing this warning and have never seen any study. But iodine is an essential nutrient, we eat iodized salt, and it's present in seawater. A recent Korean study found 434 ± 73.6 μg/100 g of iodine in sea salt, about 1/10th the level of fortification, and I see people recommend using sea salt all the time. Table salt has additives to reduce clumping that slow down dissolving in water, so using some other form (e.g., pickling salt, if you can find it - finely ground and no additives) will dissolve faster.

When I first started diving, equalization issues nearly made me quit, and oxymetazoline ("Afrin") spray helped. But my issues were mostly ear equalization and, now that I am much better at that, I have been able to stop using it with no problems.
The reason for using sterilized water is the very small, but real risk of contracting primary amebic meningoencephalitis. The ameoba can be present in tap water. Since the fatality rate from infection is 97%, I think it's worth boiling some water and then setting it aside for this purpose.

There have been a very small # of reported cases, but it is usually fatal. So use boiled or distilled (or even filtered, like with a camping filter) water if you can, but don't freak out of you can't - the risk is tiny. (And that CDC ref. does give instructions for using bleach, should you happen to have that but no access to boiled/distilled/filtered water and want to be extra safe.)

The NeilMed packets are $13 for 100 on Amazon or 13 cents a packet. If you want to DIY it, it's around $27 for 2 pounds of pickling salt + 1 pound of USP grade sodium bicarbonate powder at Amazon, or 4.2 cents a dose for an isotonic solution like the NeilMed. YMMV, but savings 9 pennies a day (18 if you prefer a hypertonic solution) isn't enough for me to give up the convenience of the premixed packets.

You'll definitely want the packets if you travel as white powder in a baggie might cause some issues at the airport or with local law enforcement. Explaining it's for nasal irrigation is unlikely to help :)

For those of you who missed the news in the last 2-3 days about OTC Sudafed PE, here is one article:
Wow . . . so what I suspected was actually true all along. It's a pain to ask the pharmacist for the pseudoephedrine behind the counter, but it definitely works better. (Personally, I find it helps more with sinus squeeze than ear issues, but everyone is different, talk to your doctor, etc.)

Anybody out there using Benzedrex (propylhexedrine) inhalers? They're OTC and work great for me as an occassional temporary respite from congestion. They're easy to use and carry and last a long time. Just be sure to read the contraindications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom