Sudafed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried Sudafed on the Roatan trip and it didn't do a lot for me. Might start taking Flownase before the next trip and see how it does.

Does anyone know if there's any restrictions on flights bringing the saline sprays like "Simply Saline". Those worked pretty good for me in the past (just daily cold use not diving). I guess if I can't bring it I can just do a giant leap with my mask in my hand and take a snort at the beginning of the dive :D

I tried Sudafed on the Roatan trip and it didn't do a lot for me.
If it was Sudafed PE (OTC), it won't. The Sudafed behind the counter is completely different stuff.

Different ingredients or difference strength?
Different ingredients.

It's behind the counter because people use it to make meth. You don't need a prescription, but you do need to sign for it. They want to know if you are buying mass quantities.

Different ingredients or difference strength?
Sudafed PE = Phenylephrine HCl
Sudafed = pseudoephedrine

Does anyone know if there's any restrictions on flights bringing the saline sprays like "Simply Saline". Those worked pretty good for me in the past (just daily cold use not diving). I guess if I can't bring it I can just do a giant leap with my mask in my hand and take a snort at the beginning of the dive :D
Saline spray and Flonase shouldn’t be a problem. Sudfed is a controlled substance in some countries.

Does anyone know if there's any restrictions on flights bringing the saline sprays like "Simply Saline".
NeilMed works better and you mix it up yourself so you just need the packets and the bottle.

Make sure you use distilled water or water you've boiled and let cool to mix it up.

I make my own stuff for the sinus rinse. Equal parts of baking soda and salt. Make sure the salt does not contain additional ingredients like iodine. Got the recipe a long time ago here on SB and have been using it for years. 1/2 teaspoon with warm water. I've used tap water without any issues. I fill up the bottle and micromwave for 30 seconds for a perfect temp.

I've used tap water without any issues. I fill up the bottle and micromwave for 30 seconds for a perfect temp.
The reason for using sterilized water is the very small, but real risk of contracting primary amebic meningoencephalitis. The ameoba can be present in tap water. Since the fatality rate from infection is 97%, I think it's worth boiling some water and then setting it aside for this purpose.

Back
Top Bottom