Sueno Del Mar Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whodat26

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at going to Roaton in Sept 2014, have decided on the West End. My wife and I usually stay at smaller resorts or B&B's. And like small or owner operated dive ops. This resort looks like it has both of what we are looking for. Would like to hear more about the dive op. We are looking to do 3 tank dips for five days. Should we go or go else where? Thanks

The dive op is very good, my second favorite on the island (after West End Divers)....but only because of some of the awesome instructors/guides at WED. SDM was great. Their rooms are certainly not luxurious, but they're great for a dive trip and staying at a smaller hotel. Their location is great because they're at the far end of West End, and you get VERY easy access to the beaches near/on West Bay. West End doesn't really have any beaches (Half Moon is pretty, but it's RIGHT in the middle of everything....I know I didn't enjoy it) but it has the night life, the restaurants, the stores, etc. West End is where I want to be if I'm not on the beach or in the water. Another option, right in the middle of West End and right next to West End Divers is Splash Inn. They're partnered with a dive op that I didn't like as much as WED or SDM, but they were fine (really all dive ops in West End are fine). However, there's no need and WED has prices comparable to all other dive ops in the area.

Long story short: You'll be fine at Sueno Del Mar if you're looking for a more basic place to go....just don't expect luxury. If that's the kind of place you're looking for, look at Splash Inn.

Victor? You think Splash Inn is more "luxurious" than Sueno del Mar? Did they do a reno?

I think Sueno's rooms are nice but small. Love the balconies overlooking Sueno's beach area and the ocean beyond.

Splash Inn, no beach, mostly no view but within steps of West End Divers.

I used to dive with Sueno until they moved to their current location. Would probably have moved with them but their rooms don't have kitchenettes, which is almost always something I prefer no matter where I am (but especially in Roatan).

No, Sueno is nicer (slightly)....and the location is nicer, and the fact that they have balconies is nicer. I just meant if the OP was looking for a basic, cheap hotel for a dive-oriented trip it was worth looking for because of its location right in the middle of West End....which I love. For the beach, I'd probably do Sueno.

More expensive, but MUCH nicer is Luna Beach Resort. It's like a 5 minute walk to Sueno and like 15 minutes to West End Divers....but a MUCH more luxurious place.

Go(to SDM).................Ray will treat you right....

EDIT:....Ray has taken care of us(our family) MANY times---going back to 1994 when we bought on the island & he had the dive op @ Sea Grape Plantation (on West End).......We sent our then 19 YO son to him(1998 I believe) to get his DM--then 2 months later got his instructors certs there on Roatan(& Guanaja)....He worked for/with Ray(@ SDM) for his 1st year or so while on the island---then later got into photo/videography @ AKR where he 'finished' his 3 and a half years on the island.......Seriously, Ray's a good guy & IMO you'll be happy with things there...

Just remembered----our daughter & SIL stayed @ Sueno a couple years ago & really enjoyed their stay(course for a year & a half she moved to Roatan & lived/worked on West End, while the son was there---too--& knew the ends & outs of that end of the island)...Now you're bringing up old memories of that island for me---haven't been back since we sold in '08-..GREAT thoughts going thru my mind right now....:)......for 14 years it was our 'home away from home', if you know what I mean......Joe......

Last edited:
Looking at going to Roaton in Sept 2014, have decided on the West End. My wife and I usually stay at smaller resorts or B&B's. And like small or owner operated dive ops. This resort looks like it has both of what we are looking for. Would like to hear more about the dive op. We are looking to do 3 tank dips for five days. Should we go or go else where? Thanks
Just got back from there. See the West End Report I just posted.

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know if they offer nitrox?

---------- Post added May 10th, 2014 at 06:35 PM ----------

Just got back from there. See the West End Report I just posted.
Gone_swimming great trip report. Which will you dive with next time? Suno or Coconut. And would you consider staying at Coconut Trees cabins?

Whodat, consider Seabreeze inn for accommodations. They've got a nice hotel tucked in behind the Cannibal Cafe. Located in the center of the village as is Splash.

Whodat, consider Seabreeze inn for accommodations. They've got a nice hotel tucked in behind the Cannibal Cafe. Located in the center of the village as is Splash.

That would be Kevin, Ray's BIL ie Michelle & Kevin are brother & sister----it's a family affair.....lol

'Where we'd love to serve you for lunch'.........& try the Big Kahuna......

Yes, Kevin and Sandra are owners operators. When I first began staying there it was in Ray's unit 5 and Sueno dive op was in that great space underneath Eagle Ray's. While I think Ray still has those units, they haven't been kept up to the standard of Kevin's units.

Back
Top Bottom