Sueno Del Mar Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know if they offer nitrox?

---------- Post added May 10th, 2014 at 06:35 PM ----------

Gone_swimming great trip report. Which will you dive with next time? Suno or Coconut. And would you consider staying at Coconut Trees cabins?
Sueno and Coconut dive operations are different. Sueno is smaller. You will have less people on the boat. They only have two guides (Roger and Stuart) who are both instructors. You can hang out with them at Tita's after diving. Their dive profiles tend to be less advanced.

Coconut will have twice as many people on the boat. They have an active DM training program so you typically have a young DM and a DMT on the boat with you. Their dive profiles in the mornings are more advanced. Personally I really enjoy swim troughs so between the two I would go with coconut. I enjoyed talking with their DM's who come from all over. I wouldn't necesarily say they are better, just more to my taste.

Coconut Tree Cabins are very conveniently located but they do not have ocean views which I really like. All rooms at Sueno del Mar have balconies with unobstructed views of the beach/ocean (and they do have a nice private beach). Another hotel option I may try next time is Half Moon Bay Resort. These are rustic cabins just outside of town with front porches just steps away from the water. Isolated and quiet but less than a 5 minute walk into town. Fantastic view of the bay and West End. Not luxury but I'm not sure if any of the hotels in west end are swanky. I think Eco Divers is right next door but you could also dive with Coconut and leave your gear at their shop so you don't have to lug it back and forth.

Just around the corner from HMB cabins is Cocolobo. It's about as "swanky" as the West End gets. Nice thing about that area is that at night it's quieter. I rented a house next to Cocolobo so although I haven't stayed there, I did walk over one day and look it over. It's pretty nice - the pictures on the website are accurate. Diving there is with someone in the West End, they recommend Coconut Tree, West End Divers or Reef Gliders. West End Divers would be a carry from there. We walked our gear to Coconut Tree the 1st night and left it with them. Reef Gliders is a Panga operation so might meet your "smaller" needs. I had originally picked them but when some of my friends booked at Coconut Tree Cabins it made sense to use them. No regrets, I still recommend them here often.

What doesn't always show up on maps is there's a cut-through behind Cocolobo that meets up with the road behind Half Moon Bay - it's quicker. Next to Cocolobo is SeaGrape Plantation - it seemed older (and slightly dingier IMO) but they have their own on-site operator. And there's a shore dive entry point there as well, you drift around and get out in Half Moon Bay. That whole area is on about 6' tall ironshore cliffs - you can see it on Cocolobo's web page.

Later in the week when the bars become active, staying anyplace behind the main road tends to be noisier till later in the evening. Or there's something blocking your view, bar, diveshop, restaurant, store etc. You won't have that problem at Sueno but definitely at the other places suggested ^ - except Half Moon Bay Cabins. See if you can find a map locating the bars on the West End Road - they're mostly clustered east of Coconut Tree by about a block or more. There will even be traffic on the road later in the week at night. All the Roatan nightlife is in that area except for the bars at the resorts. Guests from other resorts even come over. Plus someone is always graduating their DM class...

That's the problem with the Coconut Tree Cabins, their 3 story building is in front of them. Anyone dining on one side of the restaurant looks down on them. There's some on the other side of the road but they way they're set back I don't think they have a view either. Friends stayed there so I've been in three different ones 2/3 were large, clean, fully furnished (complete kitchens) my other buddy had a bed, a table and a mini-frig. I suspect he rented the cheapest they had though.

Posada Los Arcos has the Argentinean Grille in front of it. Some of their rooms are right over it, others perpendicular to the beach. So your view is thru your neighbors patios. It closes at 11 some nights so you'd have the light/noise till then. They have their own private beach across the road with some chairs etc.

Although waterfront no beach on Roatan is "private" so about all that means is that no locals will be using the chairs. Sundowners next door is the beach/divers bar - they close early though. https://www.facebook.com/sundownersbeachbar

Next to Sundowners on the water, is the Beach House. It's on the water, but rooms are over a restaurant too, if I recall correctly. Should become quiet by 10-11pm. Friends of mine stayed there recently and really enjoyed it. That said, the rates are quite high for the area.

Yes, Kevin and Sandra are owners operators. When I first began staying there it was in Ray's unit 5 and Sueno dive op was in that great space underneath Eagle Ray's. While I think Ray still has those units, they haven't been kept up to the standard of Kevin's units.

2 weeks before Ray 1st moved from the dive op @ Sea Grape(~?Jan '98) & moved the dive op to the pier where Sueno originally was, our middle child(age 19 then) moved down to Roatan for 6 months(3.5 years later he moved off the island)to get his DMs/then instructors license from Ray ---& Guanaja....When Ray moved(the dive shope ONLY) into the pier building(named it Sueno's), upstairs was empty & gave our son that upstairs to sleep/stay in---had to shower etc below on the piers rinse off faucets...Our son jokingly used to say he had to be careful not to roll outta bed & fall into the ocean....:)......GREAT memories of those years...

Hey diver 85 I see you are from sw LA. I am going to the Flower Gardens in Aug. Cant wait.

Worst dive op on Roatan hands down, stay away

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom