Suggest option in March (Borneo-Flores-Ambon)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Renz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi and thank all of you for this interesting and informative site.

We're a bit stuck on making decisions on our unexpected and imminent trip..one whole month compare to usual two weeks, in march
we've already been in Sulawesi, Bali, Sumatra in the past.
This time we were thinking of Borneo and maybe stretching to the area around Flores or Ambon..not diving all the time (we wish)
Are we aiming too far? and could you suggest some itinerary, good diving spots..
Cheers

Last edited:
This time we were thinking of Borneo and maybe stretching to the area around Flores or Ambon..not diving all the time (we wish)
Are we aiming too far? and could you suggest some itinerary, good diving spots..
If you're not looking for exclusively diving spots, probably that Ambon is not your best bet... I'm currently having a hard time trying to arrange other activities in the area, maybe I could tell more in a few weeks... hopefully.
On the other hand from what I see there's plenty to do in Maluku but if so then forget the diving and spend your time hopping from island to island like the Bandas and the fabulous Keis but it takes time...

If you want to mix and match diving and sightseeing Flores would be a good option, I did a trip this summer in one month from Flores to Malaysian Borneo (Sipadan).. you could as well combine Flores and Kalimantan. check my summer reports on Komodo, Maumere and Sipadan.

Otherwise, there's plentyful to start from Komodo and lose yourself in the remoter Eastern Nusa Tenggara islands like Alor or even cross the border to Timor Leste.

One month is even short for Indonesia, hence you need to stay in one region or do not venture too far away from the hubs like Bali, Kupang, Ambon or Makassar. Hence you'd rather pick a region and stay within.

Merci Luko and excellent report with photogrphic marvels! Maluku reminds me of Sulawesi-lembeh..

We are now inclined to stick to one area, either Borneo or Solor archipelago.
We might consider Borneo, for variety of culture, jungles, rivers, wildlife and diving, of course..
But we're reading mixed reviews, especially on Kalamantan (travel difficulies-distances-language barriers)..what are your thoughts on this?which area should we concentrate on and can it be done on wheely luggage rather then backpack?

We spent one month in Asia a couple of years ago and split the time between Borneo and North Sulawesi. There are a lot of things to do in Malaysia . We dove in Sipadan, went to the Orangutan sanctuary, did a river cruise to see the proboscis monkeys, and toured Kuala Lumpur( lots to do there). Next time we want to climb Mount Kota Kinabalu.
I have friends that dove in Kalimantan and loved it. It seems that you could combine Borneo and Kalimantan quite easily. I have gone diving in the Alors and loved it there as well! Have fun!

Like Jake wrote Malaysian Borneo is easy to travel, with a convenient & cheap flight network (Air Asia or MasWings), good roads, lots of things to do/see (not limited to Sabah, Sarawak part is wilder, check out Mulu or Long Bario region).

Can't help you with Kalimantan, never been, though I wish I could go and photograph Banjarmasin town.

Hi..
I just want to give you some info and I could help you more.
please check out this web LOMBOK INDONESIA | LOMBOK HOTELS RESERVATION | LOMBOK HOLIDAY TOURS - Lombok Hotels booking - BALI LOMBOK TRAVEL GUIDE Information - Lombok Hotel and Travel they will help you to arrange your trips in Indonesia, they're trusted friend and really helpful. And check this Gili Islands and Lombok Diving | Learn To Dive In Gili and Lombok | Gili Islands Scuba Dive Gili Air, Gili Meno, Gili Trawangan | Dive with Local Lombok Dive School | Gili islands Dive | Dolphin Dive School Lombok for your diving trips in Lombok, Gili islands and flores (komodo island).

Cheers
Eli

Hi..
I just want to give you some info and I could help you more.
please check out this web LOMBOK INDONESIA | LOMBOK HOTELS RESERVATION | LOMBOK HOLIDAY TOURS - Lombok Hotels booking - BALI LOMBOK TRAVEL GUIDE Information - Lombok Hotel and Travel they will help you to arrange your trips in Indonesia, they're trusted friend and really helpful. And check this Gili Islands and Lombok Diving | Learn To Dive In Gili and Lombok | Gili Islands Scuba Dive Gili Air, Gili Meno, Gili Trawangan | Dive with Local Lombok Dive School | Gili islands Dive | Dolphin Dive School Lombok for your diving trips in Lombok, Gili islands and flores (komodo island).

Cheers
Eli

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom