suggestion on wetsuit in bahamas???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with most here in that a full 3mm won't steer you wrong. However, it also depends on the diving you'll be doing. If you're in the shallows...you could go with just a bathing suit to a full 3mm. If you're on the deeper side of the Islands, a few miles out a 3mm would probably be the best idea.

Hey Yourself!
We have been in the Bahamas on a liveaboard at the end of May/first of June and I used mostly a 2mm shorty with a skin underneath, but also took my 3mm full because with repetitive diving your core temp drops and you get cooler as the day /night wears on.Plus,some of the dives can be deep and there are thermoclines. This past weekend we went diving in Key Largo(pretty close in temp to Bahamas water) and it was cold for a Florida girl, about 78, but when each dive lasts an hour it's cold even with a 3mm full and hood.(I know I sound like such a sissy to those Northern divers.) We are also going to Eleuthera in the Bahamas at the end of May, and altho I'm hoping the next 3 weeks warms things up significantly, I'm still taking my 3mm and 2mm w/skin. No sense being miserable. Hope you have fun!
Rosebud

Hi. Never been diving in the Bahamas... but in Barbados and Tobago I wore just a bathing suit... about 80 degrees... sometimes I wear a t shirt... too often we are all gear crazy... lots of money spent on stuff that just sits most the time... spend money on dives... you should contact the dive shops there and see what you can rent... you might want to just rent a shorty or something... hell I might just wear a wool thermal top or something... but then I am currently living in Alaska. :) So I would probably love your warm water... Hahahahaha... Have fun. :)

txscubagirl:
Hey,
Does anyone who has been diving in the bahamas have any suggestion on what type of exposure suit we will need at the end of may?

Just returned from the Bahamas

For long dives I would take a 5mm for short 3mm is fine

txscubagirl:
Hey,
Does anyone who has been diving in the bahamas have any suggestion on what type of exposure suit we will need at the end of may?
Can't speak specifically about the Bahamas, but I dive on the southern coast of Cuba, water temps about 82 at the surface, I use a 3m shorty, or full suit depending on the dive. The full suit can be a little hot but offers some protection( we have some crazy shore entries/exits). I am NEVER cold even at 130'. I think anything heavier wold be way to warm.

I wore nothing but a 2mm vest in Bimini last year at this exact time. Got slightly chilly on the deeper (>60) sites only. On many dives I skipped the vest altogether. And I'm a wussy warm water diver that HATES the cold.

Soggy:
I wore a 7mm hooded full suit and was comfortable. At the time, that's all I had, but it worked fine. I don't think there is such thing as being too warm in the water...or at least, I've never experienced it.

I have never worn a hood in the Caribbean or anything more than a 3/2 which now would make My skin crawl with water temps even at 130 ft at 83 degrees. So Yes you could expereince it someday, It's much too hot..A Dive Skin or Shorty would work well..but overall now You can start diving Your bathing Suit... :wink:

Working in the Bahamas I wore a 3mm, with a 0.5mm hooded vest (I get cold pretty easily, combined with up to 4 dives a day). Most divers wore 3mm or 5mm suits. I would not recommend a shorty, especially if you do a shark dive, many places ave you kneel on the bottom. Gloves could be a good idea for mooring lines if your hands are sensitive.

Rosebud is right. It also depends on the amount of dives you are doing. I was there in December. The water temp was 71 degrees. We did two days of diving, 4 dives per day. On the first day, I just wore my 3mm and a beanie and by the last dive, even though shallow, I was getting a little cold. The next day I wore my 3mm, beanie with a 5mm core warmer and was comfortable all day. We are going back in July and even though I know the water temp will be much warmer, I will still bring along my core warmer just in case. Remember, even though the water temp is in the 80's your body still has to work to keep it at 98.6. If you are only doing 1 or 2 dives a day, I would just wear a 3mm or dive skin. I like the 3mm because it gives me more protection, but that's just me.

Have fun in Bahamas. It's a beautiful place to dive!
janet

It positively confirms (and repeats) my points in post #6 above.

Have fun time.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom