Suggestions for 5 days after Komodo live aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaNYC16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Booked LA for end of August and looking for ideas after. Boat ends in Labuan Bajo and flying back home from Bali. Looking to relax on the beach and get a few more days of diving in. I want something chill but not in the middle of nowhere. I've been to Bali twice and seems too commercial and busy now. A friend suggested Nusa Lembongan which looks great. Thoughts on Nusa Lembongan or any other areas would be great.

Thanks!

There's many places in Bali are not very touristic or even no tourist at all, but no starbuck too.
Northwest and north Bali is generally less touristic than south Bali.
Sidemen is Ubud 20 years ago. Munduk is also nice place to chill - if you love hiking/trecking you'll love it. Very hilly with dozens waterfall in the area.

Lembongan is certainly less commercial than Kuta, or Nusa Penida is more off beaten path but the landscape is amazing and picturesque, such as these ones:

44778682352_6ff9858b56_z.jpg
Atuh beach nusa penida-8211576.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

43980546505_efc37d28c8_z.jpg
Batu Nunggul Nusa Penida-8210200.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

44989716231_0f4d9ecd24_z.jpg
Kelingking beach-8191178.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

If you book your flights in/out of Bali, then a return trip to Labuan Bajo it makes sense to stay in Bali and do some diving.

NL is good - big chance of mantas.

But I would book something in Ahmed/Tulemben.

Reason: from NL you have to take a boat back to Bali at least the day before your flight, seas can be rough and boats may be cancelled (this summer my sister and her family waited 3 days to cross!)

Amed etc is only a drive...

Yes I’m flying back out of Bali. I didn’t think about the seas being rough. I assume that’s rare for 3 days, I’ll have to think about it. I dove in Tulamben many years ago at the wreck. What other diving is nearby?

good critter sites all along that northern coast. Scuba Seraya Resort is a good option and they also have trips out to Nusa Penida

For diving you could try Geko Dive in Padang Bai. I wouldn't call it non-touristy but it's certainly not like Amed or Ubud. And you can dive parts of the Lombok Strait, Nusa Penida, and Manta Point.

Having said that, at the end of August Bali is in the highest of high season. The best you can do to avoid tourists is probably what Wisnu said.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom