Suggestions for a small, light, and cheap light duty backup light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a very small, very light, and very affordable backup light for tropical, clear water OW use. It doesn't need to be supernova bright or have a very long run time.

This Sartek looks appealing... it seems to be quite small though I can't actually find dimensions or battery specs anywhere. (I wrote to DRIS to ask for more info.)

Sartek Industries EBL1 | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Does anyone have any other ideas?

EDIT: This is just the kind of thing I am looking for--2xAAA so it is very small, LED, bright enough to get you back to the cattle boat. :wink: Would love to see other options if anyone has a similar product they are in love with.

http://www.brightguy.com/Princeton+Tec/Princeton+Tec+Amp+1L

Last edited:
The small intova lights are great for my use as backups. Cheap, durable, dependable, small, and did I mention cheap?

I have one of these. It's the kind that you screw the bezel closed to power it on. It has a plastic clip on the backside with a spot for a small ring also. $19

31PTcKCH4iL._SX342_.jpg

http://www.princetontec.com/attitude

5" long and 1" wide across the reflector - it tapers down to the width of 4 AAA batteries. 30 lumens. At about 15' the beam is about 3' wide with some spill closer so it's not a real focused light.

Princeton Tec Attitude 3 LED FlashLight (Green) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

You might want to take a look at the Penetrator 220 sold by Piranha Dive Mfg. It's a 220 lumen led light powered by 6 AAA batteries which give approx 8 hrs. continuous use. I have one as a backup and really like it. I believe the price is $43.00. Check the "Hot Deals" thread. You'll find Piranha listed there.

+1 on the Intova Compact. I bought 2 through B&H and carry one on all my dives, as a safety day and back up nights. I like the on off switch and strobe function. Great little light.

Thanks again for the ideas, everyone.

I think I found a light that meets my needs. It's a tiny single-AAA powered model that looks great for a tropical travel backup.

Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express
Scroll down to the $20 "Aquatec LED-1700."

I'll follow up with impressions when I get it, and if it sucks, I have time to pick a replacement from your suggestions. :)

I agree on the Intovas, Great lights and they make on that runs on AAA batteries instead of the CR123 which are expensive and hard to come by in some places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom