Suggestions for getting my first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learn a little about decompression algorithms in some of the other 1st computer threads before you make a decision. The topic is often contentious

I d not think it is possible for a new diver to learn much other than the fact that people obsess over this. They cannot actually judge anything about the facts as being new they have no personal experience. As far as any rational person is concerned it is just a bunch of nerds spouting off.

You do her and everyone that follows and reads this a disservice.

SOME vacation diving is shallow and most people will get low on air before they run out of NDL. But, SOME vacation diving is deeper, where NDL is more likely to be limiting - so algorithms DO come into play.

Also, it's not hard to find vacation dive operators that will rent you a bigger tank - I've rented steel 100s and 120s.

And, it's also not hard to find dive operators that will let you dive your tank, rather than give you a time limit.

The last time I was in Hawaii, I dove with Kona Diving Company. I rented 100s and (for the Manta Ray night dive) 120s, AND their policy is to let you dive your tank. Most people diving a 120 can easily last longer than their NDL, if the dive is deeper than 60'.

It happens all too often that some people here on SB put THEIR own normal way of diving on other people and then advise on a computer based on that, but without making clear what assumptions they're building into their recommendation. As you've done here. If you ASSUME an AL80 or shallow diving, then what you said is valid. But, not making that clear does the reader a serious disservice, I think.

And your experience of real world vacation diving is what precisely? Given your exhaustive 100 ish dives

I am pointing out that the majority of vacation diving at resorts and on live aboards is carried out as a guided group

Yes you can get larger cylinders but that doesn't change the fact that the dives are time limited (generally 1 hour) and the group will be guided through the dive by the DM. It is the DM's computer which generally the controlling factor on NDL. The DM isn't going to go into Deco if you have a liberal computer, equally the DM isn't going to dive a liberal computer putting his guests on a conservative computer into Deco.

Dives are depth limited (for instance Dive 1 - 30m max, dive 2 20-25m and dive 3 -18m etc) each day to ensure people have the max NDL and to keep with the schedule

So my statement still stands that for recreational dive trips, it is the guide's computer that is the controlling factor

For the record, I always have more NDL left than the guide and my statement weren't an indicator of my personal preferences but they were based upon the forum, the OP's experience and their stated type of diving.

Unlike you the OP probably doesn't want to buy 4 computers in 2 years, to get one that gives them the readings they want. I'm sure if she wants to delve further into algorithms she will do so - hopefully by talking to real people in person

Training agencies all introduce or teach computer diving in OW. They should, at least, introduce the topic of different decompression algorithms at that time. Decompression algorithms are a basic component of dive computers and one of the few that differentiates between brands.

A new diver could just as easily, accidentally, choose a computer with a very liberal algorithm, when a more conservative computer might be a better choice for them. Without any knowledge of the topic, it's a random choice based on what they see during training, what their LDS carries, most popular brands...

I d not think it is possible for a new diver to learn much other than the fact that people obsess over this. They cannot actually judge anything about the facts as being new they have no personal experience. As far as any rational person is concerned it is just a bunch of nerds spouting off.

All these people can learn to dive but can't learn the basics concerning decompression algorithms? I think you underestimate many people

And your experience of real world vacation diving is what precisely?n

My experience is certainly not extensive. My vacation diving has been to:

Playa del Carmen and Cozumel
Oahu
Big Island (Hawaii)
West Palm Beach, Florida
North Carolina (2 different dive operators)
New Jersey
Saint Lawrence River
Lake Mead (Las Vegas)

Do you want the names of the dive operators for each location, too?

Not exhaustive. But, in every single case, I have ended my dives because I (or my buddy) ran out of NDL or I (or my buddy) got low on air. Deeper dives, I usually run out of NDL. Shallower dives, I usually get low on air.

I have not yet experienced being herded in a group and having to end a dive because a DM said so or because of an arbitrary time limit.

Actually, of the 9 dive operators covered by my list, only 4 of them had a DM in the water that I was with during the dive. I think the WPB operator also put a DM in the water for people who wanted to stay with him, but my buddy and I did not.

But then, I do tend to put some decent time into researching dive operators before I travel somewhere, and I specifically select for operators that have bigger tanks available and whose policy is to let you dive your tank.

Just because something is "always" the case for you doesn't mean it's always the case for everyone.

All of the computers and algorithms on the market have been pretty thoroughly tested before being sold and have been scrutinised by hundreds of thousands of divers.

There is no right computer or right algorithm for everyone. Conservative or liberal is a choice as is colour, screen type, shape, size etc.

I chose a Cressi Giotto which is a three button computer. I used a single button computer during my OW and decided three had to be better (which it was). YMMV.

Algorithm is well worth exploring but don't fixate on it too much. I chose relatively conservative (RGBM) as I am not that fit or young. Picking a liberal computer might have been ok but I am happy with my choice.

It is worth remembering with regards to algorithms that, even with the most conservative, depending on circumstances that it is possible to get what is termed an "undeserved bend" where even diving within the NDL you get symptoms of DCS. Often it can be down to medical issues ( undiagnosed Patent Foramen Ovale being a risk) but can be down to water temperature, surface temperature, hydration level, fitness, etc.

One thing to bear in mind though is screen type - if you are diving in the UK, the visibility is not always great so you might want to choose an LED type screen as opposed to LCD (which might require using the backlight to be readable). I did a dive with a buddy where he was 5m away with a larger LED type screen and I had a lot less hassle reading his screen at that distance than reading mine on my wrist!

My experience is certainly not extensive. My vacation diving has been to:

Playa del Carmen and Cozumel
Oahu
Big Island (Hawaii)
West Palm Beach, Florida
North Carolina (2 different dive operators)
New Jersey
Saint Lawrence River
Lake Mead (Las Vegas)

Quite. . Your knowledge of diving practises around the world are none existent yet you feel able to criticise those of us who do have this knowledge. Enough said then!

If you ever go diving outside of the USA, you'll find things work differently. I don't recomend you do though because you wouldn't like it.

Given the OP lives in Scotland, the choice of vacation dives will generally be
Red Sea
South East Asia
Maybe the Med
Maybe Maldives

In all these destinations the Local laws require a guide in the water with each group. Generally a group is no more than 4 divers to a guide, so hardly being herded.

My original comments still stand over the general practises of 1 hrs dive time, where the guide runs the dive to the most conservative computer and to the person who has the fastest consumption (although they do work very hard to try to achieve balance groups so one person isn't limiting the dive). There are exceptions and I choose my operators carefully, but I'm not recounting my experiences just the general practises in the area.

So my initial recommendations are still valid, especially so if you take into context the OP's information of having less than 25 dives in 3 years and only when she goes on holiday.

None of what I've written is based on my personal preferences, but it is written with an extensive knowledge of general diving practises in these areas.

I did a liveaboard out of hurghada and nearly all of the diving was in buddy teams, not guided.
Likewise, I did 2 weeks of liveaboard out of Port Ghalib and everyone had the choice of diving with the DM or in buddy pairs, no restrictions

And your experience of real world vacation diving is what precisely? Given your exhaustive 100 ish dives

Quite. . Your knowledge of diving practises around the world are none existent yet you feel able to criticise those of us who do have this knowledge. Enough said then!

If you ever go diving outside of the USA, you'll find things work differently. I don't recomend you do though because you wouldn't like it.

Dude, give it a rest. Coming on pretty strong about a very arcane point. To be honest, I'm not even sure what your point is - that algorithms don't matter? That you should just follow the DM and ascend based on his N2 loading, because based on your experience DMs everywhere will always know which of their divers is closest to NDLs? Sorry, can't agree. with you there.

Also, be careful about slamming someone based on their dive count - those aren't always that accurate and you don't necessarily know who you are belitteling. Especially since you apparently have less than 500 dives. Not impressive enough for you to go around talking smack about other divers' experience.

I'll also say this - Stuart may not have a huge number of dives, but he takes this stuff very seriously and puts a lot of thought into his posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom