Suggestions for getting my first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get to dive a wreck maybe once every 2 years, so yes 35 minutes as opposed to 32 minutes matters to me. Every computer Ive ever looked at I could understand the display. I don't really use any menus -- I just want a computer that tells me basic info. So, all I care about is cost & getting the most dive time in.

There are other ways to get more dive time in than pushing the NDL. The conservative computer is not stopping you from doing the bottom time, just insisting you do stops on the way up. Those extra three minutes are probably not going to lead to more mandatory stops that the safety stop suggested by the aggressive computer.

There are other ways to get more dive time in than pushing the NDL. The conservative computer is not stopping you from doing the bottom time, just insisting you do stops on the way up. Those extra three minutes are probably not going to lead to more mandatory stops that the safety stop suggested by the aggressive computer.

It is if you adhere to your training.

As a new diver, I had the same conundrum a couple of months ago. These are the factors that guided my decision:

1. Budget. I wanted something I could afford, given I had other dive gear I wanted to buy and the costs associated with travel, dives, training, et cetera.

2. Diving "career" goals/plans. I am a firm believer in gross motor skills, perfect practice makes perfect, and train what you fight. I wanted a computer that could support all the near term and longer term plans I have--including deco dives, trimix, caves. I wanted to be comfortable using its interface and functions to the point it becomes gross motor skills and second nature. I wanted to buy into an ecosystem and learn it well and go with a platform I could trust to last.

3. Decompression algorithm. I wanted peace of mind and that meant no RGBM or proprietary algorithms. I put a lot of trust on scubaboard, researched, used planning software based on the different algorithms and picked a computer that supported more than one.

4. Form factor, unique features (screen size, air integration, et cetera.), flexible conservatism, dependability, ease of use, reputation.

2. Diving "career" goals/plans. I am a firm believer in gross motor skills, perfect practice makes perfect, and train what you fight. I wanted a computer that could support all the near term and longer term plans I have--including deco dives, trimix, caves. I wanted to be comfortable using its interface and functions to the point it becomes gross motor skills and second nature. I wanted to buy into an ecosystem and learn it well and go with a platform I could trust to last.

In all areas of diving I suggest not buying the kit until after the course. Courses teach all sorts of things. One ought to be kit selection, so after the course you are better able to get what is appropriate.

When you start doing serious deco dives you will need two ways to execute your plan. A cheap computer bought by a beginner diver will do for a timer and depth gauge to execute a plan on a slate if the expensive multigas trimix computer dies. I use my Zoop like that.

Until you are changing gases in the water there is very little to do to a computer while actually wet.

Speak for your own training system. The OP is from Scotland and they know how to train divers there :wink:

They teach deco in the very first level of scuba training?

Maybe Im just cheap. I don't like the idea of buying a computer that meets your needs as a new diver now and replace it if your diving needs/knowledge change. I want to buy one computer that will last me as long as possible - without need for replacement.

Things do get obsolete. Getting IR uplinks working on the recent versions of big computers has been a challenge for one example. Secondly, there are moving parts that wear out, pressure sensors in particular don't have an infinite lifespan. On top of which if you're shopping for a computer you probably need it now. For your needs now and on the budget available now. What may or may not happen in the long term is a whole 'nother story, so... where's that $150 DEEP SIX already??!!

They teach deco in the very first level of scuba training?
TBH I am just poking fun at the inadequacy of a system where staying down longer and surfacing directly is allowed but staying down the same time and doing the stops is not.

Maybe I should print out some tables that allow 30 minutes at 30m but 'recommends' a 20 minute safety stop. Then we'd all be golden :)

Neither SSAC And BSAC first level courses are where anyone stops their training. To have a choice of interesting sites requires more that 15 or 20m and with that comes deco training. There is no arguing that an entry level diver is qualified beyond those depths like suggested for PADI etc OW. This means that all the regular divers can do deco. Maybe that is why they all buy Suuntos.

There have been so many comments in this thread so far, that I did hesitate to post my own opinion.
There are so many different ways to look at this topic and if you found the "perfect" PDC, it is most likely very expensive.

Want to got TEC in the future? You can still buy a current model used for half the price in a couple of years.

So if money matters, buy something cheap. 100-150 €/$
Used, if the seller is trustworthy.
Even a f****** Mares Puck will do, it's just ugly and conservative, but does it really matter?

The algorithm doesn't really make a difference to a beginner. I did my first 20 or so dives without a computer. Why? Because my gas consumption did not allow me to get anywhere near ND limits.

My suggestion for future posters:
Tell OP which computer he definitely should not buy!
I'll make the start:
- Old Aladin Air X (nobody will change the battery, because the housing is glued together. I own one and it became my personal challenge to successfully change the battery. Still hesitate to glue it together again)

- Seabear H3 ( I would love to own one, as it is from my hometown, but the future of the conpany is uncertain after it was bought by JO)

I know, these are far fetched examples. Might still be a help though.

If you still want a recommendation:
Whatever model, NITROX!
Low to mid range Oceanics are the best bang for the buck, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom