Suggestions for Indonesia trip in June/July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am interested in a land-based trip to Indonesia in the June/July months and wanted suggestions. I have been to Wakatobi twice, and would like to go somewhere else on my next trip. I am very interested in going to Raja Ampat, but have heard that currents and other weather are not very good in June or July (true?). I noticed the new resort in Misool, but I have heard it is a LONG boat ride to the resort, and this does not sound ideal. I do not want to dive Komodo, just because of the currents. I have not done much muck diving, but Lembeh might be a good bet. I would prefer a destination that also has some of the incredible reefs that Indonesia is also known for. I would appreciate suggestions. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Erwin

Bunaken has the healthiest and most colorful reefs I've ever seen. The fish population is incredible from all varieties of nudibranchs to black tips and everything else in-between. The people are always smiling and helpful. It is a beautiful area of the world. Lembeth is also muck diving extraordinaire. If you do one, you have to do both. You won't regret it.

If you pick the right operator the currents in komodo are not so much of a problem, Certainly June July not good for Raja weather mainly.

Bali, Nusa Penida Gili tarwanagan Lombok are all okay that time of year as well (Mola molas start around June......Some people saw 2 yesterday in fact so the season may actually start earlier this year

Hi, maybe try South Lombok.

There's an operator there that dives at 3 exclusive locations around the south coast of Lombok and offers scuba diving for all levels of experience. The dive sites they visit range from pristine, colorful reefs along the southern coastline, to challenging diving at really cool pinnacles at Belongas Bay.

In Sekotong (south-west coast) there's diving in milder conditions and very colorful reefs with lots of macro and reef fish. A little further south, toward Bangko Bangko and Belongas Bay, it starts to get more challenging with more fish action and stronger currents. The third location, Kuta (south-east coast), is actually a surfer area and you'll find more rougher conditions. I think Sekotong and Belongas are quite good, and Kuta is more for someone who is on vacation and may want to take a dive or two.

For a little better idea of where they dive check their website divezone-lombok

Happy Diving!!!

Bunakan/Lembeh make a nice package. I'm going back this year.

But Sipadan is miles better than Bunakan.

For better top side experience try bali. "Absolute scuba" in Padangbai is a good base for exploration - don't miss tulemben or manta point

Bali has many great place to dive. you can see from pygmy seahorse or other macro until big stuff like mola-mola and manta.
for macro there are some places you can dive here such as seraya, secret bay and PJ. but if you are here at the end of June and July, you will have a chance to see mola-mola. some other friends already see it in crystal bay and blue corner.
for dive operator i suggest Air Diving Academy in Sanur and Absolute Scuba in padang bai. they're both very experience and well organized dive operator.

I booked Raja Ampat for the 19. July. Now after reading that this is not the best time I'm really worried about my trip. Should I rather save the money and spend more time in Komodo or Alor? Up to now I haven't pay for anything and can still cancel.

Btw I have been diving in Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines and are currently in Bali. I am flying out of Indonesia on the 07. August, so I got plenty of time left.

I have 6½ weeks in Indonesia next year, too...I will arrive in Bali from Darwin mid-August 2010 and I leave via Singapore October 1st 2010.

I don't know much about Indonesia and good diving spots there...so a few recommendations would be most welcome by me, too :)

I hope that 6½ weeks will be enough time for some good diving in Bali and 1-2 other places...
But where to go after a week or two in Bali...northeast to Sulawesi/Bunaken perhaps?

Topper1992, have you arranged to get a 2 month visa in advance from the Indonesia consulate. If you fly in and get a visa on arrival, it is only valid for one month and officially not renewable. Do as many night dives as you can, they are great fun, especially in Lembeh. Don't forget to ask how much the departure tax will be, It is payable in local currency after you check in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom