Suggestions for Indonesia trip in June/July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I reckon I will get a 2 month visa from the Indonesian consulate in Darwin before flying into Bali.

I know that August-September is a long time away still...
But a few recommendations on places will help me in my planning.

So far it looks like it would be a good idea for me to concentrate on Bali and the islands east of Bali...ie Lombok, Komodo, Flores?

But since I will be leaving Indonesia via Singapore around October 1 2010 I might check out Sumatra, too...but how is the weather up in Sumatra in September-October?

I spent recently 8 month in Southeastasia with a lot of diving and with Indonesia you definitely chose a good country to dive.

At first I would recommend a visa-run to East Timor, this country is just stunning! I didn´t try diving their, but snorkeling in K41 (supposed to be the best and famous divespot), it was pretty disappointing. Otherwise it´s probably possible to get a visa for more then one month from the Indonesian embassy in your country.

In Bali I just had time to dive the wreck and it was alright, nothing more.
What I would recommend is the Komodo National Park. The scenery is amazing and the diving just incredible! So diverse and so much to see, really one of my best dives ever!

Some friends I met in Flores went to Bunaken to dive afterwards. They were pretty excited about and said it´s almost as good as Komodo.

Otherwise Raja Ampat. I haven´t been their but everybody adores it.

For edpdiver & Topper1972

I would suggest you Bunaken & Lembeh. As you may already known that Bunaken is the most popular Diving Sites of Indonesia for its wall and then Lembeh for its Critters Heaven. They are located only about two hours by from each other, on the same province of Indonesia: North Sulawesi.

Additional to Bunaken & Lembeh: Bangka & Gangga Island. Another dive site of North Sulawesi, abouth 1 hour by boat from Bunaken.
So like Topper1972 who seems will have long holiday, try all of them!! :D

To your country, you can fly directly from Manado the capital of North Sulawesi with Singapore Airlines while if you have transit in Malaysia, you can fly out of Manado with Air Asia.

There are lot of types of accommodation & dive centers there. The category would be as following:
If you would like to be able to visit Manado city easily, choose to stay on the accommodation which are located on the main land of North Sulawesi and not on Bunaken/Lembeh/Bangka/Gangga islands. Because the islands resort do not have flexibility to transfer you to the main land.

But if you tired with the city atmosphere, try the island escape:wink:

-Level of Accommodation
- High End
At Bunaken:
1. Siladen Island Resort - located on white sandy beach Siladen Island, 5 min by boat from Bunaken
2. Minahasa Lagoon Dive & Tour Club - located by the beach of the main land 45 min by boat to Bunaken

At Lembeh:
1. Kasawari Lembeh Resort - located on the mainland of NorthSulawesi facing Lembeh Island
2. Kungkungan Bay Resort - located on the mainland of NorthSulawesi facing Lembeh Island

At Bangka: Gangga Island Resort - located on white sandy beach Gangga Island.

- Mid Range
At Bunaken:
1.Thalassa Dive Center & Santika Hotel. One of the best Dive Center in the area located on the main land, 5 minutes from Bunaken.
2. Bunaken Cha-Cha

At Lembeh: NAD Lembeh, great choice for UW photographers

There are more choices of budget accommodation on the islands with Fan & Cold Water accommodation yet great dive service.

If you want to combine Bali & North Sulawesi there are 2 returns flights on Daily basis by Garuda Airline & Lion Air.

Topper1972, if you plan to spend 6 weeks here Indonesia you might have chance to visit every popular diving sites of my country.

Airport tax: IDR 30,000 for domestic flight & IDR 150,000 for international flight. You better pay this with local currency.

Send me message if you would need further assistance.

We have done the three destinations and there are trip reports, galleries and multi-media shows for each at our site. We are trying not to repeat destinations but Raja and Lembeh are two we will go back to. We love muck diving so next round we will skip Bunaken and just spend more time in Lembeh Aquablue Dreams

We have done the three destinations and there are trip reports, galleries and multi-media shows for each at our site. We are trying not to repeat destinations but Raja and Lembeh are two we will go back to. We love muck diving so next round we will skip Bunaken and just spend more time in Lembeh Aquablue Dreams

Really enjoyed your photos. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom