Suggestions for new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Suunto Cobra gave up the ghost last week (as so many of my friend's Cobra's have) so I am in the market for a new dive computer. My Cobra was from 2005 so there has to have been a lot of changes made in the dive computer world since then - and I have not kept up. I find that the Suunto's computers are very conservative and am wondering if someone can suggest a brand that might be a bit less conservative. Or if they have any other input that would be helpful that would be appreciated.

Sue

this will sound like an advertisement, but Shearwater makes great computers and you will never grow out of them. the Petrel is what everyone is raving about now, but you can get Predeators used fairly cheap. I will never go back to recreational computers again after diving shearwater.

That is the type of input I am looking for and don't consider it and ad. How are they as far as being conservative. With the Cobra (and my Zoop which gives almost the exact same info) I can't do more than 2 dives a day if there is no Nitrox (such as in Cancun) or I risk going into deco.

Sue

you can adjust the consevativism of the computer prior to diving it. They can range from fairly conservitive, to riding the edge of the knife.....all depends on what you program it to do. as far as going into deco, these are tech computers, so they are designed to give you adequate deco celings and times if that were to happen. Honestly i would suggest you take an adv. nitrox/deco procedures class at some point, then you can enjoy some good deco diving as well.

Sue,

I dive mainly with the Sherwater Petrel and love it too. One drawback for many recreational divers is that it is not air intregrated nor connected to the HP port on the 1st stage, thus you will need to use a SPG.

If you liked your Cobra I suggest looking into the Atomic Cobalt. It is a consol computer simular to your Cobra but much easier to use.

Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer - Simply Brilliant

Depending what style of computer you are interested in both the Petrel and Cobalt are great computers and would be great equipment purchases.

~Oldbear~

With the Cobra (and my Zoop which gives almost the exact same info) I can't do more than 2 dives a day . . .. . . or I risk going into deco.

+ 1 for the Petrel, Atomic Cobalt. Both are great, especially the Shearwater. With that said, can you elaborate on not being able to do more than 2 dives a day with your Suunto ? I do 3 & 4 dives a day, all the time, with and/or without Nitrox on 2 different Suunto computers.

I have a Cobra currently but If were replacing it I would seriously look at the Oceanic Pro Plus 3. Great computers, more aggressive algorithm, large screen, and proven design. The pro plus 2 might even be the smarter option as it will be cheaper. GREAT Computers

I have seen a couple of people mention the Atomic Cobalt. I would suggest reading up on that computer in the Atomic manufacturers section before buying one. There were quite a few people reporting issues with the new Cobalt not too long ago. Just a heads up.

Thank you for the responses - I have not been getting the emails from scubaboard for some reason and didn't know there were responses. That being said, I will check out the references made.

The "good" news is that a replacement of the battery seemed to sure the computer's problems, so I will still be diving with a Cobra, but maybe it is time for a new one anyway...

to mucikbiz22: Hoping this doesn't drag this thread far afield with the usual slams and digs that seem to come up when one tries to explain their issues... but to clarify, I like to do 3 or 4 dives a day for the 5 or 6 days of my week-long vacations. Dives range from 40 to 90 feet usually and my dives are normally about a hour long (only reason I get out earlier is if the dive shop has a tight schedule and requires us to stick to it - or if the dive is very deep and my buddies are our of air) But when I dive somewhere that Nitrox is not available, such as Cancun, if I try to keep up my schedule, buy the 3rd day my no deco times are getting very low quickly and I have to cut my dive time in half or take a day off. As I said I have a Cobra and Zoop and both computers read the same. AND my dive buddy who has a Cobra and dives very similarly to me had the exact same readings! Diving with 32% allows me to keep up the schedule I enjoy, but not 21%.

Sue

Back
Top Bottom