Suggestions for replace BCD - BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ended up purchasing a DSS Medium SS BP with a Torus 17 wing and a HOG harness. Tobin was very helpful.

I got the BP/W 2 weeks ago and went in the pool with it for an hour practicing getting the kit on and off underwater and on the surface.
In the pool I needed 4 pounds of lead with the AL80 tank with 400 PSI of air. The 3 MM wetsuit would not sink with 6 pounds of lead but did with 8 pounds of lead.

I dove the rig 2 times so far at a local dive site (Blue Heron Bridge salt water) and I love it. I like it better than the black diamond BC that I have been using for years. I like the HOG harness and I am glad I listened to what people were saying.
In salt water I need 8 pounds of lead.

Thanks for everyone feedback on this.

Last edited:
Yeah, BP/W is a nice upgrade from a traditional BC, it can also be less expensive at least less expensive than the nicest BCs out there. My buddy Twain has a nice new article on choosing BP/W over BCs as a recreational diver. It's been a subject of controversy, certainly but is an interesting article nonetheless:

Backplate, Harness, Wing for recreational divers | Thinking Diver

On a recent trip to Bonaire I left my 3mm wetsuit hanging in the storage area one morning, which I found out about when we got to the dive site. I put my BP/W and one piece harness on over a T-shirt and swim suit and went diving with no problem(except for the comments about my white legs scaring the fish). I find the Halcyon webbing a little softer and more comfortable than the stiffer stuff that Oxycheq supplies.

I've never owned a jacket style BC, and only used one in my OW class.

I currently have a Seaquest Black Diamond BC. I used if for about 16 years and it is leaking from where the power inflator attaches to the bladder and I was told it cannot be repaired.
I would like to replace it with a BP/W.
I dive in warm water only now (South East FL and Vacation). I use a 3MM wetsuit(new wetwear) and I use 17 pounds of lead. AL 80 tank
I might want to get cavern certified but not cave.

My concerns are how comfortable is the 1 piece Basic Harness.
My current BC has weight pockets built in and I have not worn a weight belt in 16 years.

I am looking for recommendations for a BP/W BCD.

I am 5' 10'' and weight 165. I like to lobster and spearfish and take pictures

In a 3mm suit and al 80 17 lbs of lead (and 2 lbs of regulator )sounds like a bit too much.

You need ~4 to sink the 3mm suit and 4 to offset an empty al 80 and your current BC is probably 2-4 lbs positive due to foam etc.

I'd guess you need about 8 lbs of lead and 2 lbs of regulator unless you are very inherently buoyant.

If I'm right in my assumptions you could use a SS back plate, and regulator and no other ballast with an al 80.

Your rig would be about -10 lbs with a full tank, 6 in the back plate and harness, 2 for the reg and 2 for the full al 80.

Your suit can only loose the buoyancy it starts with, and for a 3mm that's about 4 lbs. (for a person of normal stature)

You can use a small wing, 17 to 20 lbs is plenty. 17 will easily float a rig that's -10, and 17 is more than enough to offset the full compression of your 3mm suit.

No need for a 30 or 40 lbs wing.

Tobin

Oops, looks like I needed to read post # 11. Thanks for the order!

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom