Suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobeachlovers

Contributor
Reaction score
Need suggestions please....Best beach (natural or man- made), to spend the day that's not too far from Casa Mexicana...have no vehicle and want to stay on this side of island. Only requirement is some sand, water and not remote location :)

bucannos

ditto bucannos

Not sure if I would go to Bucannos when the cruise ships are in port. We drove up there from Casa Mexicana to check it out it and the place was overrun with cruise ship people. Maybe on a Sunday or late in the afternoon after the cruise ship folks leave to go back to their ships.

Need suggestions please....Best beach (natural or man- made), to spend the day that's not too far from Casa Mexicana...have no vehicle and want to stay on this side of island. Only requirement is some sand, water and not remote location :)
There are several beach locations south of town on the west side ranging from Chankanaab (a large park with restaurants, shops, a dolphin encounter, botanical gardens, a model Mayan settlement, and a couple of dive ops) to Playa Corona (small, secluded, quiet with a little bar/cantina and a snorkeling area). What's your pleasure?

Not too picky, just not too far or crazy busy..will be Monday if that makes any difference

Not too picky, just not too far or crazy busy..will be Monday if that makes any difference

Walk 12 blocks north on Melgar (main waterfront Boulevard) and there's a 2 story thatched roof place on the water called El Bungalow. It has a nice, small quiet beach next to it on the north side. Open to public, but safe, no currents -- and you've got food, drink and banos for your convenience at El Bungalow. Great place for cheap, good sunset supper as well.

Been there, done that -- worked for me and the missus.

Another suggestion, probably 50-90 pesos taxi from CM would be the Papa Hogs/Villa Blanca beach area. There's some shore diving there, a little bar, a hot tub, a dock, probably some ok snorkeling. I can't remember the name, but I think at street level there's a bar and maybe some food? Most of the time I've been there, the little bar on the sand is open but not the top. The shop I dive with, and others I think, use that area for shore dives when they're training. Seen some cool stuff there, including mating flying gunards. (?) The place is south of downtown, about half way between CM and the south cruise ship terminal.

Walk 12 blocks north on Melgar (main waterfront Boulevard) and there's a 2 story thatched roof place on the water called El Bungalow. QUOTE]

That is called Playa Casitas and it is certainly the closest public beach to downtown. It has a couple of bar restaurants and public restrooms. Unfortunately, it is also directly across the street from one of the city's sewer lift stations, and if the wind is right, it stinks. Sunday it is packed with local families getting a little R&R, but the rest of the week it is quiet. It starts a little north of the airport boulevard and ends at the President's house. Easy walk from your hotel. In the 1940s, near today's entrance to the airbase across the street from the beach, Mr. Rudy had a turtle processing and ice plant. Today, the city has built some god-awful monuments on the spot, with misleading plaques that the cronista of the island copied from unfortunate sources.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-18_17-0-23.png
    upload_2017-2-18_17-0-23.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 44
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom