Suggestions on purchasing equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaoulDuke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I posted this on the intro forum, but thought I would put something up here as well. I haven't done any diving in 25 years and recently took a refresher course to get back into it. All my old equipment is outdated and can no longer be serviced so I am starting from scratch again. I currently have the basics (mask, fins, snorkel) so I am wondering in what order people would begin acquiring new equipment? I was thinking a wetsuit and dive computer should be my next two purchases and then I can look at BCs and regulators later. When I was diving computers were not even around and now it seems like its the opposite where most rely on computers and don't use the tables to track their dives except for a backup means. Or would it be best to look at a package deal that includes everything and just get it done all at once?

what equipment do you still have and why do you believe it is outdated? Who told you it can no longer be serviced? I have regulators from the 1950's and 60's that are still perfectly adequate for todays diving...

Computers are all about what is comfortable for you. If your eyesight is going, something like a Shearwater would be a worthwhile investment, regularly you can find them used for ~$400 for the older models, or ~$800 for the new ones. Dive Gear Express has the DG03 on sale still for $250, the Nitek Q can be had for around $400 new *though I'd take a used Shearwater over either of those any day of the week*, you can regularly find a bunch of cheap computers on ebay with the Nitek Duo being my personal preference for those around $150 or so.

Specials
bunch of great wetsuit deals on that page. Unfortunately no ability to filter, but you can scroll through and check them out. Well fitting exposure protection is the #1 thing IMHO for any water colder than 80F.

BC would be a BP/W from Deep Sea Supply for best bang for your buck.

If you still have regulators, it is highly unlikely that they are unable to be serviced unless they are a specific run of Dacor's that Mares is no longer supporting. Post what you have and we'll see if it's really that far out of date.

I'm not sure on the specific models but the primary regulator is a Dacor, the emergency regulator is some private brand I believe, gauges and BC are both Beuchat (sp?) I was originally certified in 1988 and went diving about 1x per year doing several dives in a week from '88-'91. I accumulated 25 dives total. The local dive shop where I took my extended tune up class told me that both companies were out of business and therefor didn't think the equipment could be serviced or would be safe to use.

take some pics of the Dacor, it is unlikely that the parts kits are discontinued, contact a Mares dealer to be sure.

AirTech | Raleigh, NC

I would recommend these guys. The secondary may have to be replaced, but Airtech will be able to validate whether the Dacor can be serviced, same with the secondary. They will also be able to validate the gauges. If the gauges work, then you are able to dive with a watch and dive tables if you are unsure on a computer at this time.

thanks for the suggestion tbone. I checked their site and it says they cannot service Beuchat or Dacor items manufactured before 1998.

Beauchat is certainly still in business. I have one of their masks (lovely low volume silicone skirt), the SO has a reg set.

never said beauchat wasn't, but dacor certainly isn't after they were bought by Mares and discontinued the parts for them. I was hoping the Dacor regs would be old enough that parts are actually available, but they're unfortunately in the grey area that Mares isn't supporting. Can't blame them personally, but such is life.

Imho, your best bet is to work with your local shop to find the most comfortable and safest gear In your budget. If they sell it, they can fit it, train you in its proper use and most likely service it anually.

Do yourself and your buddies a favor and get new gear. Having been originally certified in 1984, I have gone though 3 or 4 regs, bcs, computers, etc as my needs changed and technology improved. That being said, my backup computer is an original suunto solution from before there was a nitrox version. Still works fine, but I like my sherwood air integrated, nitrox capable wisdom 3 as my primary.

Good luck and happy shopping! Christmas in June, fun stuff!!

Dacor stuff is pretty much non-serviceable unless you want to do it yourself and even then the HP seats are hard to find. The gauges are OK if they work (very likely), the only service they need would be orings in the SPG or maybe hoses, both are common parts. Many of the older brands/models are hard to get serviced, on the other hand, older Scubapro and US DIvers/Aqualung are very often times easy to get parts for, both OEM and aftermatket. Don't over look the used market. Regs any major brand a few years old and much older SP/USD ones are often times found at great prices, same goes for BC's. Not all of them are still supported but many are, ask a GOOD shop if it can be serviced. Many shops only service what they sell so when they tell you 'it can't be serviced", what they are really meaning is THEY can't service it, poor shops are likely saying " I don't want to service it, I want to sell you new stuff". . Don't get sucked into the "new is better/safer" BS. Reg and BC technology has changed very little over the last 35-40 years, styles, colors and materials (cheaper plastics) have but the design and function are still the same.

Ahhhhhhh Dacor Extremes...huge, heavy, but they do breathe nice. It's a shame they can't be serviced. (I have 2 sets bought in a used package deal....I only wanted the tanks) Actually, I believe that the parts can be found, they are just not available as a kit anymore from Mares.

Keep your eye on Craigslist. I have bought several complete sets used that only had a few dives on them. I did buy our regs first, and bought them new, just because my family was brand new and did not want to trust rental regs. I went with Hog/edge from DRIS because of price and reviews. I figured that the one piece of equipment that keeps you alive was not worth chancing on rentals. A regulator failure requires immediate attention or death is way too near. As long as your still breathing, everything else can be dealt with.

Also, my LDS will clearance out their rental/ training gear at the end of each year for around half price. Top of the line stuff that I trust has been serviced and maintained as needed.

3.5 Wetsuits can be found new for less than $100 so I consider that basic equipment like a mask and fins. unless your planning on local diving and need something thicker, even then I've seen 7mm suits clearanced in the $100 range. Swimming in someone else's peed in suit seems gross....swimming in my own peed in suit seems fine. Lol, I didn't say it had to make sense... Anyway, I would go wetsuit and regs first.

BCD's are so varied with so many options, it's easy to buy what you think you wanted....only to find out with a few more dives...you really prefer something else. Many here will say just start with a back plate and wing as opposed to a jacket style BC. This is one area that renting several different types may save you some money before you purchase. Rent, talk, research, rent some more, borrow, steal, etc...then buy. I'm juggling the choice between backplate/wing and a Dive Rite Transpac now to upgrade my jacket style Scuba Pro Glide X.

Tanks would be last unless you found a used package deal. As long as you have access to rental tanks readily available, and will dive locally frequently, owning tanks may not be necessary. The cost of visual inspections, hydro testing, and fills may make renting a better choice. We own 10 tanks, all bought used, so the cost adds up. Again, dive several options and decide what works best. I like HP 100 or bigger steel tanks best, but a heavy aluminum 100cf tank is a close second. I'm an Airhog so I need a bigger tank to dive with wife and kids so I don't cut their dives short. More air is always better than less!

If you have your old tanks, they may still be fine. There were a few years in the late 80's to mid 90's that an alloy was used in aluminum tanks that has been condemned. A quick Google search will tell you what it was. As long as the birthdate is 2000 or newer, you should be safe. Even if your tanks are in the range, it was a very specific alloy used. As long as they pass hydro and vis....and you can get them filled, your fine there. I have heard of some dive shops refusing to fill older aluminum tanks just because of age (and possibly stupidity) but have never seen it firsthand.

Good luck,
Jay

Back
Top Bottom