Suggestions on purchasing equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman, I totally agree that newer is not necessarily better and safer, unless the old stuff can't be reasonably serviced and maintained or it is very uncomfortable. At my LDC, my friend, the service tech still has double hose regs that we play with on occasion! Tanks with J-valves and no pressure gauge, unbalanced first and/or second stage single hose regs, non weight-integrated bc's (heck I learned in a Mae West vest), double hose regs, venturi tube depth gauges, The Edge computer....all stuff that can be fun to play with in confined water for us old farts.

As far as enjoying your diving to its fullest, however, I disagree somewhat that, "reg and BC technology has changed very little over the last 35-40 years, styles, colors and materials (cheaper plastics) have but the design and function are still the same". Weight integrated bc's are easier to use, more comfortable to wear and thus safer, in my opinion. I personally prefer to dive balanced first and second stage regs with user adjustable breathing resistance. To each his own I suppose. Though I have never used bleach bottles as buoyancy compensating devices, I guess they worked well enough in their time :wink:. Wetsuits are certainly made much better than the 1/4" stiff-as-a-board hard rubber Michelin Man suits of old as well. But purchasing new wetsuits was covered very well already.

To the OP, think comfort and remember what you are wearing is life support equipment. If you are handy and comfortable working on your own gear, service kits are certainly available for many older models that dive centers no longer care to service. How much do you trust your abilities to keep the gear working well? It's your life, is it worth a few more dollars to have someone certified work on it? Ha, Suunto used to try to make us have a service tech change the batteries in the Solution....for a fee. Its on o-ring kit and a new battery, not difficult and I could always go back to using tables (GASP) if I messed that up. I got training, however, before I started servicing my own regs and bc (no, I am not a certified tech, but work along side one when doing this).

As far as order of purchase, that is very individual; based on need and budget. My mantra for years has been: Mask (snorkle? up to you), Fins, Regulator with computer, BC, wetsuit, etc, etc. I use that each time I pack gear also as a mental check list (backing up my written checklist).

From basic open water on, we are always taught that safety is the primary concern. Why bother with training at all if it weren't? In the 50s and 60s one could go to Sears, buy a bunch of gear and jump in. I wouldn't recommend that approach, and is it much different than buying old stuff from someone's garage sale (or at online auction) with little or no service history and difficulty in obtaining service from an unknown seller?

I currently have the basics (mask, fins, snorkel) so I am wondering in what order people would begin acquiring new equipment? I was thinking a wetsuit and dive computer should be my next two purchases and then I can look at BCs and regulators later. When I was diving computers were not even around and now it seems like its the opposite where most rely on computers and don't use the tables to track their dives except for a backup means. Or would it be best to look at a package deal that includes everything and just get it done all at once?

Hi, @RaoulDuke. Assuming your mask still fits really well, is not deformed and does not leak, I think you have the hardest part out of your way. :)

It may just be me but I would not prioritize a wetsuit so high up on the list unless you are diving very frequently and/or in such cold waters and the fit is so poor or uncomfortable that your suit is flooding and you are freezing all the time. Rentals, for the most part, have served me well but I also don't do any local diving for the time being...Vacation only, mostly in warmer waters, sometimes in cold. The dive computer was my first order of business. After that, if anything, finding a BC that fit well and a reg that breathes nicely within my budget and dive style was more important. Then I focused on the wetsuit. This would obviously change based on when, where, how often you dive and what the temperatures are like.

I would avoid doing a package deal if it means that you have to go with something they've put together that you are having to settle on. A good dive shop will work with you to create your own package that is exactly what you want and need and give you a discount for buying everything together. Take a look around, try/demo some stuff and see what you think. Welcome back to diving!

Been away for a few days so just saw this thread. Thank-you all for the suggestions. Very helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom