Suggestions on Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wanting to get into spearfishing this summer as was looking for some suggestions on a good starter speargun. I will be using it mainly in the Gulf Coast area of Florida. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What do do? Scuba or freedive? Depth of wtaer you plan to fish in? What species of fish do you plan to shoot?
Best word of advice is buy a decent gun that is "above your ability". You will outgrow a beginner / cheap gun real quick if you stick to spearfishing.

wjefferis:
I am wanting to get into spearfishing this summer as was looking for some suggestions on a good starter speargun. I will be using it mainly in the Gulf Coast area of Florida. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think it is pretty hard to beat a Spearfishing Specialties Sea Hornet gun. These are handmade by Kevin Bruington, using the Sea Hornet trigger assembly. The most popular is the 48, 52, 60 Rhino Classic. The Magnum is also a very nice gun if you want the wood finish. If you would like, give me a call at (800) 601-DIVE and I will help you with a good match of the gun to your size and shooting desires. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

The most important aspect of your gun choice will be the size. 48" to 60" being the most popular range for Florida diving. 52" to 57" probably being optimum.

Production mid-priced guns like Biller, Spearfishing Specialties or JBL can work well for your area. (SS guns are actually made in Austrailia, however some models are customized in Florida with special features.)

Stepping up a notch in price, Riffe makes many top production guns. Increased power being the advantage, especially for heavy duty line rigged.

Daryl Wong is the most popular custom gun maker I know about, specializing in everything from huge tuna guns to compact reef guns. Many of his customers have had him create guns for their spearfishing style and terrain. He is famous for his hybrid and enclosed track models.

You couldn't go wrong with any of the above, but studying the features, size and price of each would help you close in on your best first gun.

One last thing if you like the sport... think in terms of multiple guns, rather than one for everything.

I have to get up there and dive the Oriskany soon!

Chad

I've been using the same 48' Biller for almost 20 years, and aside from a few misses here and there, it's worked out just fine. I dive the same waters you're diving, get the same fish you'll get. I agree with Richesp, buy one you'll grow into.

sounds good, thanks everyone for your input.

Man I just love seeing more locals getting into spear fishing!!! All joking aside I love my 52” Rhino :wink: for fishing around here. I have bought from Dive sports that posted above and would recommend them or Gary in Orange Beach for the SS brands , MBT or Chas with Underwater Works in Daphne for the Riffe They will all give you a good deal.

I hope we can get a chance to hunt some fish together this summer :D

Sounds like a great idea to me. I would prefer to go out with a bunch of experienced spearfishers so I can learn all of the do's and don'ts. I'm going out probobly this month or early the next and try out a lender speargun. I may get a little better idea of what I want, need, and like from this trip...hopefully.

wjefferis:
I will be using it mainly in the Gulf Coast area of Florida.

Bridge spans, wrecks, low viz. Just due to the area you are diving, Get a gun light. Chad has one that would be perfect for your setup.

Back
Top Bottom