suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
well our dive team so far have wet suits. we haven't had a need for dry suits as yet but , we want to move to dry suits for obvious reason protection , warmth ect , question is what dry suits and what do you all recommend ,as always cost a factor.

Vulcanized rubber suits are very durable and Nokia, Amron and Viking all make very high quality suits. Amron makes both 1100 and 1600 gm suits that are excellent but not exactly what you could call cheap. The 1600 has the heaviest zipper I have ever seen on a suit and is available with heavy duty seals. It would be my first choice if I could scrounge up the bucks in the budget.

Vulcanized rubber suits are also very easy to repair as any tire patch will do the job and they dry very quickly allowing the entire repair to be made in about 10 minutes. They are also easy to rinse and again dry very quickly so they do not have to be hung long before being repacked and made ready for the next dive call.

20+ years ago when we went dry we used about everything on the market. We eased into Henderson, Viking, USIA, Whites, Bare, DUI and a few others.

What we have ended up with is White's and DUI. We are replacing the remaining White's and are going only with DUI TLS350.

Some suits do not like the extream conditions from both the PSD conditions and being in a vehicle 24-7-365.

In most suits I wear a Med. Short. But with the DUI I wear an Exrea Large Extra Tall. Not because of suit sizes but the way it goes on and secures. It fits just a well with thin or thick underware and will go right over my uniform.

I can also get suited up in under three minutes with them. The others are a little harder to get into.

There is NO Perfect suit. Get what works for you and your team. If your RESCUE get all the same gear. Don't mix and match. RECOVERY can have some leaway.

Gary D.

Medic:

Below in this forum, there is a post on suits from Andrea. It provides a pretty comprehensive description and application for each. Front zipper suits are easiest to get in by yourself. If you are going to be doing any contaminated water or haz-mat diving, the vulcanized (or rubber type) suits are an absolute must. Combine this with Full Face Masks and underwater communication for an all around PSD combination.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom