Sun Protection Tips & Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my skin suit especially in warmer waters. Its spf and just makes it easy to dive without putting on lotion. Saved me a few times from jelly fish as well.​

Bought some of the stuff, as sunscreen it’s great, rub it on in the morning and so far no burning all day.

while I didn’t see any jelly fish there were a lot of little salp like things in the water today, it doesn’t work against them!
Thanks for the update!

Could it be that particular type of tiny jellyfish? I remember reading about them giving swimmers grief and it took a while to identify them. Almost invisible in water apparently

Slug life - I just painted that adorable creature on my new RK3 fin!
Also - I used Sun Bum 70 spf in Gallapagos and didnt get burnes once. Supposed to be reef safe - though I dont believe any of them are. Also used one of those lightweight brightly colored sarong things that can be used as a shoulder wrap, protect your face, cover your legs, and wear as a skirt!

Thanks for the update!

Could it be that particular type of tiny jellyfish? I remember reading about them giving swimmers grief and it took a while to identify them. Almost invisible in water apparently
I have no idea what it was that got me, didn’t see anything like a jellyfish, the main thing is I didn’t get burnt, I put it on in the morning and it lasted all day.

I don't like to mess around with sunscreen so I cover up to protect from the sun. Long sleeved hooded fishing shirts from Pelagic aren't cheap but I like them a lot.

I don't like to mess around with sunscreen so I cover up to protect from the sun. Long sleeved hooded fishing shirts from Pelagic aren't cheap but I like them a lot.
Wearing enough sunscreen for the Texas-sun from 10am to 5pm is borderline impossible for me, plus it's easy to miss spots. While I'd like to go no-sunscreen, I use a hat, long-sleeve shirt, and other similar items as much as possible, but still have to use some sunscreen anyway on my face/head/neck, hands, and sometimes feet too.

Speaking of which, some loose pants that can withstand lake-water might be a good buy. Something I can throw over my swim-shorts.

Not sure I have that much to add, but living in South FL, we take the sun very seriously. I prefer to avoid the sun vs sun screen whenever possible. Therefore, we have TONS of the UV 50 sun clothing ... long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts, hooded shirts, and neck gators. We use them literally on a daily basis.

When diving, I do the following:
  • Cover up first ... hat, hooded sun shirt, socks under my Keen sandals, hood when diving on 100% of my dives. I have lycra hoods I wear when the water is too warm for a regular hood.
  • Get a shaded spot on the boat whenever possible.
  • Only when the above two are inadequate do I use sunscreen. When I need it, I use SPF 50 mineral based sunscreen. The high quality, reef safe stuff from various brands.
Our dermatologist is usually pretty pleased with both of us as we look like we live in Minnesota :) ANY amount of coloring on your skin, be it pink, red or a "tan", is too much. My mother-in-law is right now being treated for skin cancer, we have neighbors who have had to deal with the consequences of it and one who died from it, and my father had major melanoma surgery on his back many years ago.

Skin cancer is serious business and we don't mess around with it. We also get full skin checks at the dermatologist every 6 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom