Sunscreen - can anyone recommend one for fair skin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elliek25

New
Reaction score
Hi there,
My son (age 12) is fairly new to diving and about to go on his first trip to Sharm El Sheikh - and I have no clue what sort of sunscreen to get him. He has fairish skin with dark blond hair and blue eyes so needs something strong, but is there any particular one that's good water resistance I can get? Any help gratefully received, thank you!
Elli

Get the Water Babies 50spf. I works great and tons easier to apply than Coppertone ,etc.

It's waterproof also. (of course with any waterpoof sun lotion, you have to reapply throughout the day)

You can buy it at Walmart, etc

1113000204454_215X215.jpg
0007548602698_215X215.jpg
0004110000177_215X215.jpg

Hi Elliek25,

My son and I too have very fair skin so we are careful about which products we use. Some of the products have been mentioned and there are a bunch of others. Rather than giving a commercial endorsement, let me just say that the higher the SPF number the better off you are going to be and for any kind of a tropical sun exposure I wouldn't go with anything less than 70.

A few words of caution... 1. do not be misled by "sport", "sweatproof", and other similar marketing/ad terms. What is important is that the product is WATERPROOF... if it doesn't say that put it back on the shelf. 2. even waterproof products will need to be reapplied between dives during a long SI and after the last dive for the boat ride back. 3. and most importantly... have your son TEST whatever you buy at home before you leave on vacation in a pool with his face mask after the product has been properly applied and allowed to dry... when some of these products get wet and run into your eyes they really sting/burn like heck and that is a sure way to ruin a dive and spook a new diver.

I use Neutrogena's SPF 85 ultra shear dry touch sun screen. It won't clog your poors, it is water resistant, non-oily and really helps when you are out in the sun all day. Oh, and I am a blue eyes, blond hair, white guy.

They also have an SPF 100 now in the same product. men's Neutrogena Ultra Sheer® Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 100+ with Helioplex® - Neutrogena

I second the Neutrogena!!! Our dermatologist recommended it - he's military and has no dog in the fight. He said it was the best. We've been using it for nine years; it works; no reaction; no burn if you keep it applied.

Hey all - thank you for your time and advice! It seems to be kind of difficult to get the neutrogena in the UK but have ordered some online- it won't be here by the time he goes but I'll have it for next time and I have some good substitutes in the meantime. Great tip about trying in the pool!

I'll let you know how he does - he's going away with my sister as they're both dive mad, not so much me tho I love to snorkel. Flying / parachuting is my bag!!
Thanks again :)
Elli

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom