Sunscreen - The Best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amanphoto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen some posts on here about sunscreen, but I still have questions. I just got back from a trip to the Caribbean. I brought my fav sunscreen(Ocean Potion Anti-Aging SPF 50). It worked great but I ran out. So I used some of my wife's Target branded SPF 50 sunscreen and I burned. The sun is much stronger in the Caribbean then it is up in NY. I tossed the Target sunscreen and I'm shopping. After looking online my Ocean Potion stuff is not very highly rated and It's hard to find in my area. I'm looking for recommendations for sunscreen that works. I want something that doesn't make you feel greasy or sticky after putting it on.

I saw something about Safe Sea Lotion – SPF 50+ Sunscreen. It is sorta jelly fish protection also, but how does it feel? How does it work?

I've read that people like, Aloe Gator, BullFrog, and some expensive stuff like La Roche Posay and Elta MD. \\\

I've looked at Coppertone Water Babies, but it is greasy.

What do you use on your surface intervals to keep from burning?

For reference : this is what was in my Ocean Potion sunscreen - Active Ingredients: Avobenzone - 3 % (Sunscreen), Homosalate - 15 % (Sunscreen), Octocrylene - 2.35 % (Sunscreen), Octyl Salicylate - 5.0 % (Sunscreen), Oxybenzone - 5.0 % (Sunscreen)

I use anything that is "60" or higher--whatever that means. My wife recommended that and she reads up on a lot of medical stuff.

This is another topic you'll get 100 different opinions on. I'm one who doesn't midn "greasy". Tells me it's still there on my skin. With that said, if you are a "steward of the ocean" which most divers are, you'll want to go with a "natural" or "reef safe" sunscreen. The brand Reef Safe is good. There are a host of others that are organic/natural/chemical free, etc. The "naturals" tend to be super expensive. Look at Blue Lizard, as well.

Badger Sport unscented Broad Spectrum SPF 35 2.9oz. is good, reef safe, but takes a fair bit of effort to rub in.

Two brands I prefer, that I had thought were reef safe (and may be, I've read conflicting info) are Coola spf 30 face classic sunscreen unscented moisturizer 1.7 oz. and Sun Bum 30 8oz. Coola (pricey) doubles as a moisturizer and has a great texture plus zilch Casper the Ghost action. Sun bum is a good, applies easily, only downside is a slight coconut smell if that would bother you or your boat mates. I hope these latter two are reef safe. They've been relegated to other uses until I know for sure.

99% of my time wearing sunscreen is on land and up north in the Great Lakes. There are no reefs up here.

What do you use on your surface intervals to keep from burning?

STAY OUT OF THE SUN

Can't believe I missed one of your original questions in bold. So much for reading comprehension. :confused: :DAlthough the link that NWGratefulDiver posted above is great and is the first one I used when researching reef-safe sunscreens (that don't suck for one reason or another), for the surface interval I have lightweight, light-colored UPF 50 clothing (e.g., pants, long sleeve shirt, hat w/brim that truly covers face & neck, and wrap around UVA/UVB-blocking sunglasses. If I can position hands & feet out of the sun, great. If not, I use sunscreen on 'em.)

So, basically, I peel wet stuff off and start the draping routine. Only takes a few minutes and I don't have to mess with reef-safe goop that may, or may not, be good for my wetsuit. (My diveskin is rated UPF 50 if I choose to stay in it for some reason. But, as it is black, it tends to get toasty quickly.)

Agree with those who are considerate of the reefs. I look for the cheapest I can find. Have tried Mexitan products (chemical free, biodegradable) - easily found online. Didn't like the smell of some of their lotions, but they did work, including their Skedattle mosquito spray.

I had no idea sunscreen could damage coral. but after reading the interesting article linked above, I thought I would check out the KINeSYS spray...

Clicked the link to amazon US, a fantastic deal at $14.59, or approximately just over 10 of my British pounds, not at all unreasonable for a sunscreen that will protect both me and the environment I have fallen in love with. Imagine my shock then when I go to Amazon UK and for the same product, including delivery, I am to be charged a whopping 60 British ponds, or roughly 85 and a half of your US dollars!:rant: Now I like I say, I have fallen in love with this coral subaquatic land, but at that price, I think I'll just sit in the shade!

I'll keep searching for a better option, if anyone has a tip for a coral friendly sunscreen that doesn't break the British bank, let me know! I'll update on my findings...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom