Support your local Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever. Maybe it's the insurer dictating that. In any case that's the written policy.

That excuse is worn out by too many dive shops - and it appears to be mostly BS.

The real question is how much $$$ can an op afford to lose through lost customers due to repressive policies and procedures before they say. "That policy cost at least $5k in business this year. Do we really need it?"

When I go to the FGB, I don't need a tank full of EAN32 to take home with me. I don't do any local diving that requires it.

It might be different if these policies were in effect and enforced all along. But that is clearly not the case. In the past, My HP 100 was always happily filled with EAN32 for each dive. In the past it was filled to 3400 psi. In the past, 40 cf pony tanks were used and nobody blinked an eye when a sponsoring shop DM had his 40cf high PO2 filled pony that he used at rest stops. In the past, tank monkeys and boat DMs did not try to tell me my HP100 could only be filled to 3000 psi because the valve was not rated for 3442 psi. They did not try to tell me that I could not get EAN32 in my HP 100 because it did not have a nitrox wrap and was not O2 cleaned. In fact, in the past, they offered to refil my tank after the last dive and top off my pony if I wanted it.

Sure, an op needs to do something about divers going OOA. But breathing from a pony is not OOA. Is it really better to have a policy that encourages divers to drain their back gas and/or hurry their exit to avoid using a pony? I wonder how the dive ops in the NE which require divers to have an adequate independent alternate air source manage this.

As much as I was initially unhappy with my decision to forgo future FGB trips, I have found that adding another Caribbean trip seems to compensate for it adequately.

---------- Post added June 24th, 2013 at 02:46 PM ----------

My choice of a 3AL 40 for a pony and a 3AA LP95 and SS backplate for my main rig, how I would use them correctly and optimally and how that use could be audited should be obvious to all. Sounds like everything would be fine if I was happy to use the boats 80's and a spare air.

Well, perhaps, as long as that spare air has current hydro and VIS sticker -- Right.

You get your tank filled after the last dive - one for the road - so you're getting as many fills as dives. You don't have to bring your own tanks. The boat will be happy to provide you one for your first dive. You're not being denied nitrox for your first dive.

On some of the Fling trips I've been on, I have left with a full tank, but not on the last one. It's a nice courtesy, and I've appreciated the gesture. It doesn't really matter though, I have zero use for nitrox for local diving. I'm paying for it for the FGB dives, not aquarena springs. And I do understand that the Fling could provide an AL80 for the first dive, but I bought a HP100 specifically for use at FGB.

What's happening is the policy requires me to pay for an additional nitrox fill if I want to use my own tank, which is quite different than an AL80, with nitrox for all the dives on the trip. This is a ridiculous policy. Geez, I'm already saving the Fling wear and tear on their tanks by bringing my own. And the troubling thing is that the policy has NEVER been explained or even mentioned on the trips I've been on, despite the fact that I've ALWAYS brought an empty HP100 on the boat. The tank was filled without question. So how long has this policy been in existence? If it's 10 years, it was certainly never communicated to me until recently.

[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]On some of the Fling trips I've been on, I have left with a full tank, but not on the last one. It's a nice courtesy, and I've appreciated the gesture. It doesn't really matter though, I have zero use for nitrox for local diving. I'm paying for it for the FGB dives, not aquarena springs. And I do understand that the Fling could provide an AL80 for the first dive, but I bought a HP100 specifically for use at FGB.

What's happening is the policy requires me to pay for an additional nitrox fill if I want to use my own tank, which is quite different than an AL80, with nitrox for all the dives on the trip. This is a ridiculous policy. Geez, I'm already saving the Fling wear and tear on their tanks by bringing my own. And the troubling thing is that the policy has NEVER been explained or even mentioned on the trips I've been on, despite the fact that I've ALWAYS brought an empty HP100 on the boat. The tank was filled without question. So how long has this policy been in existence? If it's 10 years, it was certainly never communicated to me until recently.

BTW, that nitrox fill that the boat will not provide may cost an extra $100 as banked nitrox can be hard to find in central TX.

...//... I'll be back in August to get my fix :D

-only got better.

...//... would your OP even let me on with a rebreather and dive the kind of dive that I dive? ...//...

Almost all the N. Jersey boats have been refitted to be 'rebreather friendly'. A 2 Hr SI is the norm. Call me on this, anyone, if I'm wrong...

---------- Post added June 25th, 2013 at 10:19 PM ----------

BTW, I understand that this is the Texas regional thread.

I got my very first cert in the GOM with American Diving, Texas. I'm just saying that it *sounds like* it could be done better. Maybe less 'dive policing' by captains?

Sure, an op needs to do something about divers going OOA. But breathing from a pony is not OOA. Is it really better to have a policy that encourages divers to drain their back gas and/or hurry their exit to avoid using a pony? I wonder how the dive ops in the NE which require divers to have an adequate independent alternate air source manage this.
As you said, in the NE (well, at least in NJ) an alternate air source is required (pony, sling or doubles). If you're not known by the Capt (sometimes even if you are), you're asked your ending PSI when you've climbed the ladder to reboard. It's generally required to board the boat with a minimum of 500psi. Some boats ask your starting AND ending PSI (and ALL boats ask for your run time and record that along with your PSI). Unless there was a primary malfunction, if your tank is drained and you're huffing on your pony...you're in pretty deep sheet! NJ divers are taught, from the very beginning, that a pony is for emergency use only and NOT part of the gas management plan. (Of course if you're in twins and you come up breathing off a different gas source...you've had a bit of a deco obligation and all's good)

-only got better.
Almost all the N. Jersey boats have been refitted to be 'rebreather friendly'. A 2 Hr SI is the norm. Call me on this, anyone, if I'm wrong...
A few years ago there were some that didn't allow them, but now all boats allow them AFAIK.

BTW, I understand that this is the Texas regional thread.
Yeah, so take a hike! :D

No prob. I'm not welcome in DNY either -so it's not like I care much about the dis-invite. But I will respect it, I know I'm over the line.

I just hope that some open-minded boat captain read your last post to awap, well written. I don't have any issues with a captain dictating or enforcing the rules of his boat, but don't tell me how to dive as long as I'm safe.

Good luck cultivating local divers, seems like your boats aren't doing much to attract vacationers either, myself included. (yeah, I know, no loss there)

No prob. I'm not welcome in DNY either -so it's not like I care much about the dis-invite. But I will respect it, I know I'm over the line.

I just hope that some open-minded boat captain read your last post to awap, well written. I don't have any issues with a captain dictating or enforcing the rules of his boat, but don't tell me how to dive as long as I'm safe.

Good luck cultivating local divers, seems like your boats aren't doing much to attract vacationers either, myself included. (yeah, I know, no loss there)

Dude...I'm just busting on ya :D so stick around!! If you're a Jersey diver, ya gotta have thicker skin than that! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom