Surf Entries and Exits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Kidspot what day do they launch the canoes this year? I have a feeling we're going to be there a few days late.

friscuba:
Egads. I'd try the waves in the first pic, but I'd be heading to a barstool if I saw the waves from the second pic. Steve

Ok, I've done a couple of shore dives - once - with waves as high as the second picture. It was ok, but not something I would actively seek to repeat again. When the waves are that high here, the vis and surge are likely pretty crappy as well.

Anyway, I dive with a hood, even in the summer. I get chilled easily - in the winter (such as it is in Hawaii) the frequency of my diving drops off steeply. Yeah, I'm a WWW. I'm going to be in Catalina for a day this coming June - while I can't pass up the opportunity to get in a couple of dives, I am a bit hesitant with what I've heard the water temps are then - mid 60s? Brrrrrrrr.

Ok, on to shore exits - I usually come in to about waist high water, then lean back and take off my fins. Once one fin is off, I start trying to feel around to get a stable footing, so once the other fin is off I am pretty steady. Any waves coming in from behind I try to plant my feet and lean back just a bit. For me, the trick is to have completely stable footing - either my feet planted in the sand or kind of braced against a rock ledge of sorts - then I can usually stagger out before the next wave rolls in.

Sometimes I'm pushed forward by a wave and get too shallow - meaning the water height is too low for me to keep my balance if another "rogue" wave comes in. In that situation, I have to back up until the water's waist height again and wait until the next lull.

I've done the "From Here to Eternity" sand roll - not graceful at all. Once I start wallowing in the sand and try to stand up there, it's all over. I end up expending most of my energy trying to get upright. From experience,I've learned that I need to back up into the water and start the entire process again.

Al Mialkovsky:
Hey Kidspot what day do they launch the canoes this year? I have a feeling we're going to be there a few days late.

I'm not sure Al, but I'll check with my neighbor - he's a paddler and might know. . . he says that they have already started racing this year and are out every weekend.

Aloha, Tim

Those paddlers are amazing athletes. We had a team from Hawaii come to Oregon last year and get some local paddling clubs going. It's taking off here even.

But they are impressive.

Usually the canoes are launched twoards the last week in May. I'm not sure what it is this year.

Very enjoyable to watch. Usually we come and spend the entire month of May on Maui and we watch them deliver the logs and create the canoes. I have a heavy instruction load this spring so we'll be there later :(

ShakaZulu:

All I can say is . . . wow . . . Either those waves are very big or those guys are extemely small of stature . . . 6-8 ft surf is a bit much for my blood. Especially for the rate at which those sets were coming in.

KrisB:
Shore entries like that should qualify for PADI specialty certification!!!
Followed by heavy medications :)

Al Mialkovsky:
Followed by heavy medications :)
well, the heavy medication goes without saying -- it would come due to the bumps and bruises sustained... perhaps even broken bones!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom