Surface interval experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shermanchau

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I got totally lost with PADI's eLearning on this. Please help.

19m34mins.jpg
19m34mins2.jpg

Did I miss some mysterious calculation? I don't follow why a 34 mins 19 meter dive will make pressure group P. Firstly I thought my eRDPML maybe defective so I borrowed another one, got PG "O", and I tried the traditional RDP, it says "O" as well.

Did I miss some mysterious calculation? I don't follow why a 34 mins 19 meter dive will make pressure group P. Firstly I thought my eRDPML maybe defective so I borrowed another one, got PG "O", and I tried the traditional RDP, it says "O" as well.
I completed the Dive Theory Online program last week, and had a similar issue with the Imperial version of the same problem. I concluded there was an error in this problem, and noted it on the survey I received after completing the course. But, I now think it is actually a bit more complicated. There are two interesting variances:

1) In the Imperial version of the problem, the first dive numbers are 63 feet and 34 minutes. OK, makes sense. Sixty-three feet converts to 19.2 meters. And, working in Imperial mode in the eRDP, you do get a Pressure Group of P (rather than O) after entering the data. So, I figured the problem with the Metric version had something to do with rounding (19.2 meters down to 19), and went back and entered 20 meters for 34 minutes, assuming it would give a 'P' value. Nope, still Pressure Group O. Which causes me to wonder if there is an error in the eRDP ML.

2) At the same time, in the Imperial version of the problem, the answer choices are different from those in the Metric version: a) 36 minutes b) 20 minutes c) 21 minutes d) none of the above. In the Imperial version, the initial pressure groups also work out correctly - 'P' after the first dive, and 'R' after the second dive. But, when you use the eRDP to calculate the necessary SI for an R diver to go to 50 feet for 40 minutes, it gives 25 minutes. If you answer, 'None of the above', you are told that is incorrect, and that the actual answer is 21 minutes. Problem is, if you resort to the 'old fashioned' way, and use the RDP, Table 2 indicates that you need to be in Pressure Group L in order to go to 50 feet for 40 minutes. Using Table 1 of the RDP, the minimum SI necessary to go from Pressure group R to Pressure Group L is 25 minutes.

My conclusion is that there is a glitch in the Metric mode in the eRDP AND, there is an error in the DTO problem. Maybe someone else knows a secret we are missing.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with PADI Training. The issue you are having is an error in the text explaining the answer to the question in DTO, not a problem with the eRDP ML, or with your thinking. They have a correction already created, and it is among a batch of edits to DTO that will be implemented in the next several weeks - the fellow I spoke with pointed out that because DTO is available 24/7/365 globally, they have to space out when they make upgrades and corrections, so that users don't lose data.

He also said that the difference, in the correctly calculated pressure group, between the Imperial and Metric versions is the result of rounding in the algortihms used in each, NOT the rounding associated with the differences between 19 and 19.2 meters. So, in Metric mode the eRDP gives Pressure group 'O' when you enter 19 meters for 34 minutes, and in Imperial mode gives Pressure group 'P' when I enter 63 feet for 34 minutes. (I think I understand, although it could be confusing for some divers, if one buddy is using the eRDP in Imperial mode and the other buddy is using it in Metric mode.)

The problem in DTO is that someone simply did a 'cut and paste' on the text explaining the answer to the Imperial problem, and put it in the Metric question, and the text is not correct for the Metric problem.

So, the problem should be corrected in the not too distant future.

Except, the answer is 35 minutes for the SI, so it's not just the text but the way the question is scored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom