Surface Marker Buoy (SMB) : Ideal length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a mix of SMBs, I carry 3 or 4 depending on what i am doing and what the conditions dictate. I do alot of live-boating while spearfishing so if me and my buddy get separated from our flag and buoy ball which one of us handles on a big honkin reel, I always fire a 6 or 7 ft SMB. With the exception of one tube I carry, all can be inflated from an LP hose, I keep one on my regulator. I either have a nozzle attached to it or nothing at all, as all my bags can be inflated with just the LP hose.

I factor in surface conditions and what they average where im diving, and that dictates what I carry or plan to use. I keep a halcyon 25 lb lift bag to send my stringer and fish/gun/ reel up and hang from it, and I can clip my XS scuba 7 ft SMB to the reel line and fire that one up too. if im just goof around diving, I take my 72 inch sausage with me. also have a 6 foot SMB i just got that i love.

alot of the customers that come into my shop gravitate towards buying the 45 inch basic tube. My reasoning with promoting a bigger SMB is wave height and distance. a 45 inch tube in 3-4 foot swells will disappear in the trough. a 6 or 7 foot marker will always clear over larger swells and make it easier to be found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom