Surface markers at BHB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferretchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm an out-of-towner who dived a few times recently at BHB (pictures at the link below). I'm told that you have to use a surface marker - a dive flag - there, so I rented one and used it. But 80% of the divers I saw didn't have one. What gives? Seriously, is there something I don't know about that allows some people not to use one, or are the rules simply flaunted?

Here's the link to my pics from a recent BHB dive, no biggie for locals but fun for me, and I appreciate all the local info that arrived via SB PM and posts!

Dan Greenspan’s Blog Blue Heron Bridge - East side

There are more BHB and Jupiter area pics at Dan Greenspan’s Blog

At least one person in each dive group has to have a flag. No telling how many people are on any given flag.

I frequently hook my flag off near where I am diving so that my hadns are free to shoot pictures. There are usually so many flags there that you would be hard pressed to be outside of the legal limit of all of them.

If you do not have a flag, or are with someone who has a flag, then you can get a ticket if you enter or exit the water. I have seen it happen.

It is better to have a flag than not have one. There are too many boats in the area to go without.

It is better to have a flag than not have one. There are too many boats in the area to go without.

I agree. It doesn't matter what anyone else does. Keep yourself safe.:)

Fisheye already answered, so I thought I would chime in with the nice pics. Enjoyed your writing also. And the Tiger bass? It's a Harlequin bass. And not too sure on the name of the lantern bass.

I carried my flag around for a long time, getting it caught on the pilings and fishermen trying to catch it...:shakehead:, I finally got smart and watched and learned from everybody else and just tie it off.

Oh, and next time you're in town drop a thread letting us know, maybe we can join up.

Some people rely on everyone else toting a flag... but... that will eventually buy them a ticket. I've seen divers get fussed at because they left their group and came up alone... (that happens on the west end)

Gotta agree with all of that. Pixie and I got stupid on one Labor Day. We saw so many flags that we figured we were safe. Sure 'nuff, as we exited, the female park rangers gave us a whopping $80 ticket. Not too good an end to a lovely dive. Bring a flag unless ya have money to burn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom