Surface Swim Poll

What method do you use?

• Swim on back

Votes: 116 75.8%
  • Swim face down with snorkel (lifting head just to navigate)

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Swim face down with regulator (lifting head just to navigate)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Submerge immediately and follow slope down

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What method do you use when shore diving and have a 100-200 yard swim out to down line or marker bouy?

1. Swim on back
  2. Swim face down with snorkel (lifting head just to navigate)
  3. Swim face down with regulator (lifting head just to navigate)
  4. Submerge immediately and follow slope down

Swim on back.........

I've found this to be much easier and quicker, plus I've found it easier to keep an eye on my buddy or a group I'm diving with......

If I'm diving EAN, I'll keep the reg in my mouth on a return surface swim, otherwise I usually kick on my back.

#4 - I submerge immediately. (not necessarily following slope down, but...)

More efficient swimming. Using very, very little air in the shallows.

Never know what you'll see!

I like to avoid surface swims whenever possible. I would follow the slope down to the site. If you know the depth of the site, you'll know when to stop and look around if you miss the marker.

Edit: the other option might be to swim 10' below the surface, but it depends on the site, conditions, what you had for lunch, etc.

Usually # 4 Submerge immediately and follow slope down

At least once we have 8-10 feet of water we'll drop right down. Therse aren't developed sites. There is no marker buoy or down line. The closest thing is a lobster buoy or a boat moring. Messing with either can cause trouble.

If I do surface time it's with my snorkle taking a peek once in a while if I don't trust the bottom features. Sometimes I'll use my compass. I will flip on my back from time to time but I didn't go diving to watch the sky and not know where I'm going.

Pete

I'd normally swim out on my back but it depends on surface conditions. If it's choppy I'll sometimes drop down much earlier.
That said, I MUCH prefer boats these days! :D

On my back. #4 isn't really a "surface swim" anymore is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom