Surface Swim Poll

What method do you use?

• Swim on back

Votes: 116 75.8%
  • Swim face down with snorkel (lifting head just to navigate)

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Swim face down with regulator (lifting head just to navigate)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Submerge immediately and follow slope down

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to state that this does not represent but just one dive site option. Some sites I dive the swim out in the shallows is just slightly above the bottom and not worth the time to even go under. Beaches mostly are like that.. just sand and surge, not much fun unless you like the sand in you face on every surge. On the other hand, there are some great lakes to drop in and follow the gradual slope to the lines leading to platforms and such.

Varies. Lots of kelp--eg, Monterey--face down with snorkel. Rough seas, ideally on back with snorkel. Very rough seas, drop down--if conditions render the snorkel useless, then might as well drop down where swimming is more efficient. For 3 years, I was doing the same ~150 yard surface swim out to a spearfishing spot--conditions varied tremendously, and so did my choice of how to get out to where I wanted to go.

carldarl:
On my back. #4 isn't really a "surface swim" anymore is it?

Yes thanks Carl........... I was hoping no one would make that observation however:D
What would you name the poll:huh:

On Regulator, either on Surface or at Depth --being towed by my X-Scooter:wink:

This really depends on if there is anything to see on the way to the site, and how much time I will spend at the site when I get there. There is no need for me to kick 200yds on the surface to my destination if I surface after the dive with 1800 lbs left in my tank, it's much easier to submerge and swim. When I dive Lajolla shores, I submerge in 10 feet of water and take a heading to the wall. Especially at night, you will miss quite a bit if you kick all the way out there.

Depends on the site where I'm diving is all I can say...:wink:

***Edit, I did vote for swimming on back, that's how I make all my surface swims...

es601:
Yes thanks Carl........... I was hoping no one would make that observation however:D
What would you name the poll:huh:

Got me there... I'm still trying to figure out how to avoid them altogether. Being lazy is hard work sometimes.:wink: It is an interesting question although as many have said, it depends on the site.

"If I have to swim on the surface, I inflate my BC, pop my reg out of my mouth, put my mask on my forehead, and then swim on my back. Very relaxing..."

Ditto, exactly. N

Usually on my back, unless it's scenic/interesting on the way OUT to the descent point...in that case I'll use a snorkel & keep my eyes open. Once saw a manta that way which I would've missed swimming on my back. But it's physically easiest (for me, anyway) to swim on my back.

Fish_Whisperer:
If I have to swim on the surface, I inflate my BC, pop my reg out of my mouth, put my mask on my forehead, and then swim on my back. Very relaxing...

Mask on forehead! Your surface swims are DISTRESSING?! Doesn't sound very relaxing to me. :D

Back
Top Bottom