Surfers and Rip Force fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to add that Da Fin is another highly regarded fin for wave action. Note again the emphasis on power in the water. I can't post the URL here for Da Fin but google reveals it easily.

I suppose it's UDT Duck Feet and Da Fin that I would be comparing Rip Force against.

I ordered Da Fin a few years ago. I waited a long time to receive it and was given a discount because of distribution problems from their supplier. I don't know if Da Fin has solved its production problems, but a short time later Da Fin suspended production and distribution because of of inferior quality to their standards. I think I have a pair of those fins for which distribution was halted. I wonder if the "new" fins perform differently than the "discontinued" fins. Until someone gets a good answer, I would be hesistant to order anything from Da Fin. I find that the pair of Da Fins that I have do not perform any worse or any better than other pairs of swim fins. They certainly do not live up to my expectations given the endorsements. But on a recent trip to Hawaii I saw Da Fin hanging on a honolulu lifeguard stand. I asked the guard what he thought of the fin. He said they were OK, but that they got them for free.

Last edited:
What are whiskers and sharks teeth? Do you have a picture of how they are used with the fin?

Can anyone answer my question?

I am the one who deleted my posts above as I did not realize that I was in the Force Fin only forum when I posted and out respect I deleted my posts since I made reference to another product.

I don't mean to sound crass or disrespectful, I thought that I did answer your question in the links provided, please take a look at those links and the ForceFin website to understand better.

I am not sure if anyone from ForceFin will be able to answer for the rest of the week, I think they are all at DEMA right now. But if you have any questions that the links and previous discussions don't answer please ask and I'll do my best

Last edited:
Thanks meesier for the info.

Looks like I can get out in the water today. Can't wait to give them a go - the prospect of a comfortable fin is very exciting.

I don't mean to sound crass or disrespectful, I thought that I did answer your question in the links provided, please take a look at those links and the ForceFin website to understand better.

I am not sure if anyone from ForceFin will be able to answer for the rest of the week, I think they are all at DEMA right now. But if you have any questions that the links and previous discussions don't answer please ask and I'll do my best

My bad. It has been a long day. I did find the answer in the links you provided. Thanks

not a problem, I appreciate the questions and just hope that you (everyone) is willing to give the fins a chance

My bad. It has been a long day. I did find the answer in the links you provided. Thanks

Hey don't feel bad. I was wondering the exact same thing (what be whiskers, teeth, etc. :confused:) except that I was too chicken to ask! :D Having been certified for 25 years but living most of the time overseas, I haven't stayed up with the times! Glad you asked the questions! Also, when I saw the posts and links from messier, I didn't realize that they were links to info., about whiskers and teeth for your benefit! I thought (like you) that they were just links for basic fin info for bongo...

So USBB, don't feel bad, we were in the same boat!

I will say that I LOVE my fins (Force Fin Pro, eBay - less than $100!!)! I have bad knees and they are just great. It did take getting used to the lack of "feedback" from the fin, but I enjoy the ease of use now that I have gotten used to to them. I will be the first to say that not everyone loves, or even likes, FF because some people just have to FEEL like they are doing something. I usually dive with younger, more experienced divers and always tell them to lead when exploring wrecks, etc., here in the Baltic (read COLD) waters. The reason? Everytime I have led the dive, I have gone too fast underwater when I was honestly not trying to. I just don't feel like I am doing a whole lot.

On the surface, face-down profile with a snorkel (looking for markers, etc.) they don't seem to work as well. Maybe it's me! Am I doing something wrong? They splash A LOT. (Shark bait - I have the yellow ones!)

Additionally, when I went diving the first time here in Estonia, as I unloaded my gear to dress for the dive (Aegna wreck), I had some Estonians laugh at me. I mean OUT LOUD! They thought the fins looked SOOOO funny (Donald Duck)! Admittedly, they do! I remember the first time I saw them in Oceanside at Steve's dive shop. Like Steve grinned when I laughed at him, I grinned at the other divers and kept my mouth shut. Two and 1/2 hours later when we were back on the boat after our 1 1/2 dive. I was still grinning! :wink:

for surface swimming, you are not the only one that has found they aren't that great. I have found that the same thing that makes the fins so good (the reduced pressure on the recovery) will also tends to make it very easy to pull the fins out of the water while on the surface.

to fix this, I have 2 ideas that have helped me
1) don't lay completely flat, shift your body slightly to one side, it works great when you have only short distances to cover
2) consciencously do not pull up on the recovery. if you simply allow your legs to relax for a moment you'll find they are in position for the next down stroke.

for surface swimming, you are not the only one that has found they aren't that great. I have found that the same thing that makes the fins so good (the reduced pressure on the recovery) will also tends to make it very easy to pull the fins out of the water while on the surface.

to fix this, I have 2 ideas that have helped me
1) don't lay completely flat, shift your body slightly to one side, it works great when you have only short distances to cover
2) consciencously do not pull up on the recovery. if you simply allow your legs to relax for a moment you'll find they are in position for the next down stroke.

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl. I have tried the "side" profile and it does work for short distances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom