Surfers and Rip Force fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bongoman

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there

I'm a keen body surfer and paipo (bodyboard) rider and good fins are crucial to not just getting out through the white water but also to give thrust and acceleration to get on to a wave. Quick acceleration is what's it all about when you are taking off on a wave. That is, the ability to get up to as fast a speed as possible as quickly as possible.

UDT Duck Feet tend to be favored by many paipo and bodysurfers but I'm curious about other alternatives.

I'm curious about the Rip Force fins, given their stated purpose as surf fins. I understand that Whiskers can increase the acceleration?

Any clues on this would be appreciated.

I wanted to add that Da Fin is another highly regarded fin for wave action. Note again the emphasis on power in the water. I can't post the URL here for Da Fin but google reveals it easily.

I suppose it's UDT Duck Feet and Da Fin that I would be comparing Rip Force against.

bongoman,
Thank you for your interest. The Rip Force is a great fin for bodysurfing. I like it because of the open toe pocket which provides me with overall comfort and transfers the energy to move the fin through the water to my larger leg muscles and away from my ankles and knees.
People use the Rip Force, the Original Force Fin forcefindive_product and I just talked to a guy last week who uses the Excellerating Force Fin excel_force_fin_product for his bodysurfing activies. So there are some great choices and with a 30 day money back offer from Force Fins it is worth it to give them a try if you are looking for a new fin for your human wave riding adventures. Below are a few links of some guys who really like using the fins while ripping the waves!
Glenn Solly on Rip Force
Kevin Hughes on Rip Force
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/239905-beach-break-bonanza.html
Rod Mann on Rip Force

Hope this helps and feel free to call us or email if you have any questions!
info@forcefin.com

Thanks for the info Blair.

I'd actually already ordered Rip Force and they have since arrived but am yet to try them out.

Can you confirm that they will take a set of whiskers? And that I'm correct that whiskers can increase thrust if placed correctly?

all of the ForceWings are compatible, doesn't matter if you put whiskers, sharks teeth, speed pods, or the Batwings they all use the same racheting gear mechanism.

as for thrust. Sure the whiskers will add some each water channelling, which will create a little more thrust. I am pretty sure the whiskers will hang off the end of the blade. Most of the time I see the RipForce with Sharks teeth on it, as to increase directional control, they are also taller than the whiskers.

meesier, thanks for the reply.

Would it matter if the whiskers were longer than the blades?

My interest in some sort of force wing is to somehow, if possible, optimise the fin for quick acceleration. I have no doubt they can cruise along nicely, but when I need to get going, then I want to be able to crank them and get good speed as quickly as possible.

ok, my take on it, is that the ForceWings do not provide propulsion, the blade of the fin does that, the ForceWings primarily change the water channelling over the blade. Each one is optimized for slightly different characteristics. Since the Sharks Teeth are taller but shorter they are able to reach deeper into the water and give you more of a rudder effect. This is why I think most kneeboarder/bodysurfers prefer them. The Whiskers work a little differently, their length and shape helps minimize the side slip and shed vortecies off the edges off the blage, instead pushing it down the length of the blade.

there is a much more extensive write up on each ForceWing here New to ForceFins, Start Reading Here
or ForceWings

I am sure that it doesn't matter that the Whiskers would hang over the edge. as far as the ability to rapidly accelerate, I am sure you will find the RipForce have plenty for you to get up and catch the wave. The ForceWings will simply make your expirience better.

Back
Top Bottom