Force Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Force Wing Technology

We have seen technology and innovation shape our lives and shape the diving industry. Over the years Force Fin has been at the forefront of the drive for diving fin technology to be more effective and efficient. We pride ourselves in responding to the individual needs and desires of every diver, swimmer, float tuber, body surfer, indeed, every water sports enthusiast who wants the most out of their time in the water.

One of the great revolutionary concepts developed by Bob Evans, The Fin Doctor are Force Wings, the most popular of which are called “Whiskers”. Force Wings are made of springy and durable polyurethane and can be attached to fin blades. They are accessories for your fin blade, but if your fin blades work for you why would you need to add anything to it? Understanding the evolution of Force Wings might answer this question.

Each development of Bob Evans for Force Fin has been made in response to particular needs of others. The Original Force Fin is great, but his friend Skip Dunham, who at the time was President of Diving Systems International, Inc., wanted a pile driver. He wanted a Force Fin with a higher ratio of blade surface area to trailing wing tips. The Original Force Fin wing tips act similarly to Force Wings in that they channel the water in a vertical column behind a diver, eliminating shedding of water off to the side, without impeding the flexibility or movement of the blade the way in which ribs on the sides of other fins do.

What Bob Evans found as he started elongating and flattening the blade is that water started spilling to the sides. With long, flat fins water is not pushed behind you when you kick down. It is spilled out from the sides of the fin. That is why a lot of fins have ribs that run along the edge of the fin, but ribs impede the movement of the fin and it is the movement of the fin blade through the water that generates thrust for all fins!

This started his creative thoughts churning. He started studying different ways to change the blade dynamics – battens in fins, springs and surgical tubing, which are being used in technology currently being marketed as new. What he found is that the relationship of the blade to the kick, or the feel of the kick was changed by these additions, but the way in which the water flowed was not affected much at all.

He used little strings tied to the fins to tell the tale as to how the water was affected. Then it dawned on him to change the flow of water he needed to change the dynamic shape of the fin. Add a set of ForceWings to a long or flat fin blade, and the water is directed behind. A true venturi is achieved, instead of just a sieve; vents in fins act as a sieve, not a venturi. Force Wings create a venturi that accelerates the flow of water without adding the need of additional power output from your kick. They truly add to the speed and efficiency of a long or flat fin blade.

The location of Force Wings allows for true variable thrust and control adjustments with out affecting the blade stiffness. Force Wings and the Force Fins to which they
attach have a geared surface. They lock into selected place, but can be turned with a twist of the wrist while you're underwater and underway.

There are three basic Force Wing designs with an additional fourth option that incorporates more flexibility than all three concepts of the Force Wing family with additional design features to increase vectoring.

A key advantage of the Force Wings is that they change the flow of the water versus changing the stiffness of the blade. Changing the characteristics of the water flow changes the power input and power output ratio. Force Wings provide you with IBC, Individual Blade Control. This provides you with the ability to change the water flow with one leg different from the other. If you have a weaker leg or knee if your gear is off balance due to bail out bottles or battery packs you can even your thrust out with the adjustment of the Force Wings you are using. Another great feature about the Force Wings is you can adjust them with out tools above or below the water. It is as easy as rotating a toggle switch.

Below are some comments given to us from people who use the Force Wings on a variety of Force Fin models?

Aaron Bruce
Tekstreme Manager,
Red Sea

I have been diving Force Fins now for the past 6 years. The first pair I
bought was the Extra Force Fin with the whiskers. I must say that after 5
years of daily use with over 2000 dives on them down to 150m, they were the
best fins I have ever worn.
The whiskers do work. If I knew we would be
fining into a strong current I would turn the whiskers in towards each other
to give that extra thrust. I thought I was gliding through the water without
much effort whilst the guys I was diving with would struggle to keep up.
Eventually they all went and bought a pair themselves!!
For a gentle swim around I would keep the whiskers open. It did make a
difference as you could still frog kick with them without getting cramp in
the calf muscles

Comments from an experienced Navy diver.
Whiskers provide me the ability to fine tune my fins to the task at hand. Giving me the ability to use only 1 fin indendant of the dive situation.

In my normal mode I run the whiskers parallel to each other (1 click IN from the edge). This does not create any additional drag while stabilizing the blade in the power stroke. They prevent blade flutter (by minimizing the side slip, aka shed vortecies) of water running down the blade), maximizing efficiency and more importantly preventing ankle/knee/leg fatigue.

While I fighting a current I can turn twist them to a fully together, or V shape, and give the fin additional "bite" into the water to overcome the strongest currents. While this requires more leg strength, you will go faster.

While maneuvering a camera I often turn the whiskers 1-3clicks beyond the edge of the fin and the fin will now scull unlike any other fin. I believe in this position the whiskers are acting like speed brakes, allowing me to use the mass of the blade to position my body while moving forward only minimally. In this position I can move not only forward and backward, I can swim laterally, which is a great feature when trying to frame a subject/model in the scene.

ukwhiskers_bpm.jpg

For adjustable thrust on the fly - Force Fin Whiskers
ukwhiskerII_bpm.jpg

This is the thread where these photos belong. Force Fin Whiskers for maximum control

Force Wings
allow you to take control and optimize the way you want the water to
work with your fin. We offer 4 different designs, 4 different solutions. The new Sharks Teeth are pictured in this photo attached to the Excellerating Force Fin.
newsharks_teeth2_be.jpg

Photo by Bob Evans

Force Fin's Shark's Teeth are water tracking devices. They catch water and channel it in your direction of travel before it meets the fin blade. With the ability to change the angle of the teeth while underwater your settings for thrust and stabilization are numerous as you can tune your fins to your personal style and the changing environmental conditions as well as different tasks while on your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom