Surprise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
You've got to check this out!
Rick

Hello,

Looked like a shark at first, noted the surf board and thought "shark food". Then I noted the tail and thought cetacea. Then read the caption.

Ed

That guy has to be thinking' where is the reverse on this thing.:wacko:

ams once bubbled...
That guy has to be thinking' where is the reverse on this thing.:wacko:

Well surfers are not known for their intelligence...

When I first saw the photo, I thought "Carcharodon!... too big for a dolphin, tail's not right..." Even after reading the caption I thought "the photographer must be mistaken..." then I looked more closely - and especially after looking at the whole gallery of photos taken that day (which somehow "resize" the critter) and it is indeed a dolphin.
But if I'd seen that in passing, and hadn't seen him come up for air soon after, I'd be swearing I'd seen a Great White!
It is an awe inspiring shot, no matter what critter it is...
Rick

I surfed while I was in college. One time , in between a wave set, fins popped up- I was knees up on my long board paddling the small swells before my brain told my body that they were porpoise. The guy in the photo must be one cool customer, or the picture is post-instinct panic. Good shot.

Many many moons ago
When I was young. We used to go surfing down Baja, Ensenada and Rosarito. One summer in Ensenada, a pod of dolphins would head down the beach in the morning and head back north in the afternoon. If you were surfing at the time, they would almost always surf with you. Very, very cool to look down and see a dolphin a few feet away riding the same wave and making it look so easy. Thanks for reminding me. Blacknet, yeah dude you’re right, like all us surfers are like….. whoa….dude, you’re either enlightened or you ain’t man.

Back
Top Bottom