SURPRISE !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finally crossed a line re: scuba.

It happens sometimes. Usually with guns or photography hardware or tools or books or ham radio stuff. I'll have something out and set it down somewhere and come across it later, sometimes weeks or months later. The thought usually follows: "Hey! Look what I found! I didn't even know I had one of those!" or "Look there! Wasn't really missing it, but hey, Happy Birthday 🎂 to me, I guess."

First for scuba stuff happened to me today when I was finally getting around to a catch-all box of crap in the corner. I wanted to get it gone and I was sorting contents - trash from keepers. I got the bottom and found an Apeks XL4 second stage. Don't know where it came from or when, but there it is. In fairness, I probably have 8-10 XL4s and a corresponding number of MK11/Mk17/H50-Ds around. So it was bound to happen sooner or later. If that's good or bad is up for debate (ex GF would have a definite vote for "bad").

Ok. Gotta ask. At what number do you have so many guns you trip across one you don’t remember owning? I have what I think isn’t decent amount and know what and where they are. Just curious, since you mentioned them.
Although I CAN say I have so much ammo I don’t who’s much I have.

Good for you. I have more tools than anyone I know. As a mechanic for decades, machinist, welder, woodworker, etc, I have so many, yet, I really know where they all are and can put my hands on them pretty quickly. Nothing irks me more than to go grab a tool and it's not there. Yeah, there's a couple of hooligans (friends) that have access, and usually a single phone call finds my tools. Still frustrating.

Good for you. I have more tools than anyone I know. As a mechanic for decades, machinist, welder, woodworker, etc, I have so many, yet, I really know where they all are and can put my hands on them pretty quickly. Nothing irks me more than to go grab a tool and it's not there. Yeah, there's a couple of hooligans (friends) that have access, and usually a single phone call finds my tools. Still frustrating.
I found a Fluke 87V in the garage a month or so back. I HAD been looking for it casually over the last few years (I have AAD - acute acquisition disorder) and have other multi-meters to use so its presence or lack thereof never stopped a project, but it being missing was irksome.

The habit may make a dandy rationale for keeping multiples of stuff. 🤔

Should I mention the two torque wrenches I got off eBay in August for the scuba workbench so as to not have to go pull from the automobile tool chest? Actually these don't require an adapter to drop down from a 1/2" to a 3/8" size.

The habit may make a dandy rationale for keeping multiples of stuff. 🤔
I always fit out various areas with the tools I need, which also leads to multiples of multiples. I injured my back to the point that picking things off the ground was painful. While trying to wire in a 220V circuit, I dropped my Fluke 88, clamshell box and all behind the roll around MatCo tool chest. Now that it feels like my back has been fixed, I need to go around picking up all the crap, er tools, I have dropped and abandoned for such a time.

I have only a few rules for my tools...
  • If you borrow a tool, put it back exactly where you found it. If you don't remember where you got it, pile it on my workbench for me to sort through.
  • If you break or damage a tool LET ME KNOW! Most have lifetime guarantees.
  • If you lose a tool, I do expect you to replace it ASAP.
  • If you don't know how to use a tool, please ask me how. Especially if you've never used it before.

This is anal, but last February, I dropped my Mac 7/16" combination wrench, and it slipped through the boards on my front deck. So frustrating! There's a skirt preventing me from retrieving it, but today might be the day. Getting my back back, has been wonderful! However, it's 42F outside right now, so I'll let it warm up a bit first. :D

• If you don't know how to use a tool, please ask me how. Especially if you've never used it before.
Are you implying that application of a bigger hammer is not always the solution?

Back
Top Bottom