Suunto Cobra 3 vs Oceanic VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammer5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at both the Cobra 3 and the VT3 for a new purchase. Anyone who has experience with both I would appreciate your comments. My Suunto Cobra has failed and i am looking for a replacement. Currently i dive in the NE Atlantic USA, with a focus on recreational diving 60 - 90 ft. I am looking to move towards technical diving and need to know if either would be better for that migration or if i am totally off base and would need a different computer all together any way. If that is the case.... between the two what experiences would be better for recreational diving in the Atlantic. I am fine with the more conservative algorithms of the Cobra, better safe than sorry.

Thanks,

I have the VT3 with Transmitter and i love it. So far it has been flawless and i'm hoping it stays like that for a long time still.

Both are great computers. The main difference is that one is wrist mounted and the other is an AI console. That makes it a personal choice scenario. Personally I never really cared for the whole console thing so I went straight for the wrist mounted option. It's much easier to look at your wrist and dig for the console.....

In terms of how conservative the VT3 is... It depends on how you set it up. Like you said," better safe than sorry". I've set mine with the alarms and tolerances with a large margin of safety so I can dive with peace of mind. I haven't had any sync issues whatsoever with the transmitter.

There is something for staying with what you know! I assume that you liked your Cobra and apart from it finally tossing in the towel, you still like Suunto products?

A option which you don't list here is the new Suunto HelO2 dive computer. It has apparently been designed for deep deco dives/ tec stuff so it may be a better fit for you in the end if that is where you think your diving will take you.

That and you're already familiar with all the Suunto controls, so it'll be a shallow learning curve! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom