Suunto Cobra Disappointment - looking for a new brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are not the only who thinks that SubGear is not a very good name. I too think subpar when I see the name. The original company name was Seemann Sub. I understand the desire to keep some continuity between the old and new names and to make a distinction to underwater gear (i.e. why SeaGear was not used). But yeah, some one needed to do better job at branding research.

I had the same issue with my vyper air. I called them after warranty expired and they replaced the unit free of charge with a newer model.

still driving a car from 2005? Sorry, that age = disposable. Is your PC still running from 2005? Is your phone? Sorry.......

for the record, I owned a slightly more "robust" computer than that I parked it for eight years due to personal reasons where I couldn't dive. It didn't start up.(though my vendor did offer a substantial discount to get a newer model). Oh well.... (so, been there, done that, have the t-shirt)

I am still diving an original Cobra from (I am not 100% sure but....) at least 2005 (if not a year or two earlier). I have over 400 dives on it and *knock on wood* it is still kicking. While I DO accept that Suunto's customer service is lacking, I have been very happy with this computer. I will however, not replace it with a Suunto.

I have no idea why but every time is see the word SubGear I think sub par...association is a funny thing. Isn't it SP cheaper line?

---------- Post added October 21st, 2013 at 09:13 AM ----------

BTW I'm not saying SubGear is sub par...

You are not the only who thinks that SubGear is not a very good name. I too think subpar when I see the name. The original company name was Seemann Sub. I understand the desire to keep some continuity between the old and new names and to make a distinction to underwater gear (i.e. why SeaGear was not used). But yeah, some one needed to do better job at branding research.

yeh i guess it can be a bad sounding name. maybe they will change it in the future. from what ive read, people are pretty happy with their subgear xp-10.

I had the same issue with my vyper air. I called them after warranty expired and they replaced the unit free of charge with a newer model.

dang! i wish i was as lucky as you! They replaced a vyper but not my less expensive cobra? go figure..

Just so you are not disappointed if it goes kaput. SubGear is owned by Johnson Outdoors: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...3-uwatec-aladin-air-x-nitrox-court-cases.html

hm, well i skimmed through the article and it seems like it was UWATEC that was a bad company and JO was just ones that bought UWATEC under false pretense. I might have misssed something as the article was long but it seems like this defect was from UWATEC years ago and JO, as far as I know, was not the one w the issue...

hm, well i skimmed through the article and it seems like it was UWATEC that was a bad company and JO was just ones that bought UWATEC under false pretense. I might have missed something as the article was long but it seems like this defect was from UWATEC years ago and JO, as far as I know, was not the one w the issue...

Reread it more carefully and focus on comments like:

"But Johnson soon learned otherwise (about the defect) when it sought to defend a lawsuit filed by Frank Marshall, one of the fired Uwatec managers, claiming that the company had terminated him for trying to report the defect."

"For three years after Gilliam's receipt of the damning memo (about the defect), Uwatec and Johnson remained silent about the Aladin's defect."

"
Concannon started peppering the Johnson and Uwatec attorney with letters demanding a recall. The company attorney responded by threatening to sue Concannon for defamation."

So while it is true JO
inherited the problem, they did not do any thing proactively once they learned of the issue. So IMHO they are just a culpable.

I have a first gen Cobra that's like 12 years old and still works great. But I know one day it will take the "final" dive on me. It's only a matter of time. Thankfully I have a Hollis DG02 as a back-up for that eventual day. At least it won't put dent in any vacation diving. B.

Back
Top Bottom