Suunto Cobra or Aeris 500ai ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nooreck

Contributor
Reaction score
Can any one please give me a feed back on those two computers.
I like Aeris due to it's display and large window and all that info, although I heard that some divers were confused being slightly narced and looking at it ???? I would really appreciate any info.
thanks

I have the Suunto Cobra and cannot say enough great things about it. Great computer, pretty conservative (would rather shorten my dive than risk DCS), and has a very user intuitive format. I actually initally figured most of it out without the manual as the initial manual that came with it was in german! Do a search on the cobra and there will be enough information to keep your reading for days! Sorry, have never heard of the Aeris computer, nor have I had any experience with Aeris products. However, I highly recommend the Cobra!

Good Luck!

I strongly recommend the Cobra as well.. I have about 80 dives on mine and never a problem. It is a bit conservative. For Rec diving IMO it's the best on the market.

I have a Aeris 500ai, I bought it used. I have no complaints and have to speak up for Aeris here, I needed mine serviced about 8 months after buying it so I contacted Aeris since there was no local support available where I was living at the time. I sent them the computer for a service, and they found a problem outside of normal service and replaced the unit with a new one while providing me a warrenty on the new one all at no charge beyond the shipping cost. That kind of service speaks volumes to me. I would not hesatate to buy Aeris again, to me its kinda like buying craftsman.

I am looking at both computers as well and studied them quite a bit. My comparison is as follows:

Aeris PRO's:
+ Easier to read (large characters)
+ Slightly easier to use
+ Visual LED alarm
+ "Horizontal" layout

Cobra PRO's:
+ Calculates free gas (RGBM)
+ Better compass
+ Slightly smaller and easier to pack due to compass location

I will probably go with the Cobra, because of the RGBM algorithm.

Thank you all for this info it is gratly appreciated.

I must say this is as dificult as choosing my drysuit, I like the Aeris as much as cobra although seems like I am getting more of a deal on the cobra so I think this is going to be my choice.....

I wish I could actually try both of them, that would be the best...

If anyone is thinking about getting a new dry system I would strongly reecomand Bare Nex-Gen well made and great price..

I own both and use the cobra more but the aries is a good unit but cobra wins on its size.

scubadoguk:
I own both and use the cobra more but the aries is a good unit but cobra wins on its size.
update..... the cobra has been put in the ebay mode all the down loader and all it has freaked me and itself out for the last time???

Nooreck:
Can any one please give me a feed back on those two computers.
I like Aeris due to it's display and large window and all that info, although I heard that some divers were confused being slightly narced and looking at it ???? I would really appreciate any info.
thanks

Umm, I see that people are comparing display size, and compass goodness and stuff, which is cool... but something that you probably should know is that you are comparing two machines that are at opposite ends of the conservative spectrum. The Aeris is one of the most liberal, and the Suunto is one of the most conservative. Not that anything is wrong with being conservative... it's just that this is a pretty big part of the whole thing, and it doesn't seem like its getting a whole lot of attention. Try reading this, this and this which I have unearthed for you by clicking on the search button and entering "Suunto conservative" in the search field. There's more there too. Hope it helps.

As an owner or user of both, I can say several things. Firstly I think the 500ai is discontinued. Aeris replaced it with the Atmos ai. I had two 500's. The first failed during the warranty period (just), and Aeris replaced it with a reconditioned unit. The second unit had a "glitchy" button, and again failed within a year.
Aeris was going to again supply me with a reconditioned unit, but the shop persuaded the rep to upgrade me to the Atmos ai. (I work for the shop). So far - a year - and no problem with the computer. Their downloader software is another issue. Just say I'm not impressed. I have seen numerous problems with Aeris quality though I do like their designs. In all fairness they have taken care of me, but I've lost confidence in their products (ask me about their BC!)
I've never met anyone who's had a problem with a Suunto.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom