Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's probably best just to play with it out of the water and maybe in a pool where you can't get too deep.

I found my Gekko to be very intuitive in the water after being mildly confused by the manual. Here's the most basic functions:

1. Power it up.
2. In or out of the water, you can hit Plan and it will show you its NDL for the depth you select using Plan and Time as up and down keys respectively.
3. Press Power to quit plan mode.
4. Dive. The computer auto goes into dive mode. It shows depth, dive time, temp, max depth, and time remaining to the NDL. I haven't used a Cobra, but it also can display air pressure if setup.
5. Have fun. Ascend slowly.

The "menu card" that is laminated is a great tool for figuring out where the feature on/off and settings are.

I found the laminated cheat sheet that came with it to be more helpful in terms of navigating the interface.

The menus and button presses on the Cobra are not very intuitive, but you will get used to them. One very useful feature is the dive simulation mode. This shows you what the display will look like during an actual dive, and allows you to change your simulated depth using the buttons. It is well worth practicing with this before you dive so that you develop some familiarity with all the displayed values and indicators. You don't want to be trying to remember what it means when there are ten little dashes above the label "CBT" on the gauge when you're 60 feet underwater (hint: it means get your *** to the surface!). Like with anything in scuba, you want to practice a skill enough so that it is virtually automatic to you when you're diving. Using the Cobra is just another skill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom