Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Beste duikvrienden,
Ik heb als back-up een Suunto Cobra. tijdens mijn laatste duik dat ik hem gebruikte merkte ik op dat hij niet meer werkte. batterij vervangen, dan werkte hij boven water wel maar van zodra onderdompeling niets meer.
Thuis gekomen het geheel in een ultrasone toestel gedaan om alle contacten te reinigen. (uiteraard in gesloten toestand)
Super resultaat, hij werkt terug, echter als ik hem aanzet geeft hij eerst "batterij", vervolgens komt hij op "dive modus" staan, na een tiental minuten springt hij op datum en klok. (dit alles op het droge)
Tot hier alles perfect.
Het probleem is nu hij op dit scherm staat en niet meer automatisch uitschakelt na een bepaalde tijd.
Ik kan hem wel terug activeren zodat hij terug in "dive modus" komt en na tien minuten gaat hij terug in kolk modus
Wie heeft dit ooit ervaren

I asked once about cleaning my Cobra using an ultrasonic cleaner and I was very emphatically told not to do it because it could cause damage to the sensors

A Suunto Cobra was my first computer, and that inspired me to read many posts about Suuntos over the years. I read many stories about many screwups. It seems to me that in most cases, the best solution would be to replace it with a computer from a different manufacturer.

My first computer was a Suunto Gekko that came with a whole set of dive gear I bought when I first got certified. When it crapped out, I bought a new Vyper Air as they were offering the transmitter free with the computer. After about a year, it crapped out so I sent it in for warranty and they replaced it with a new Vyper Novo. I used the Novo for several years and still have it, but I'm currently using an Oceanic OCi that has been a great computer. I also own a Cobra that I used as a back-up while diving the Novo but no longer use since I dive the OCi now.

I can't foresee going back to using a Suunto.

BTW, I have no idea what the OP is saying or asking.

BTW, I have no idea what the OP is saying or asking.
"Dear diving friends,

I have a Suunto Cobra as a backup. On my last dive I used it I noticed it stopped working. If the battery was replaced, it would work above water, but as soon as it was submerged, nothing more.

"When I got home I put the whole thing in an ultrasonic device to clean all the contacts. (of course in closed state).

"Great result, it works again, but when I turn it on it first shows "battery", then it comes to "dive mode", after ten minutes it jumps to date and clock. (all this on dry land)

"Everything perfect until here. The problem is now it's on this screen and won't turn off automatically after a certain amount of time.

"I can activate it again so that it comes back into "dive mode" and after ten minutes it goes back into vortex mode

Who has ever experienced this?"

Het probleem is nu hij op dit scherm staat en niet meer automatisch uitschakelt na een bepaalde tijd.
Ik kan hem wel terug activeren zodat hij terug in "dive modus" komt en na tien minuten gaat hij terug in kolk modus
Wie heeft dit ooit ervaren
I am not quite sure what you are referring to as "kolk modus," or "vortex mode," (at least in translation); but all of the Suunto computers that I have had, will revert back to a standard clock and date mode, after about ten minutes, unless they are actively being used.

Since it was also mentioned that it was intended as a spare, you could always put it to actual use and see whether the dive mode remains functional after that ultrasonic treatment -- to ensure that the sensors have not been affected.

I must be an outlier on SB, since I have used Suunto computers on and off for over thirty years, without any issues, provided that the contacts always remained clean. All of the depth sensors jibed with my analogue gauges and other computers . . .

I must be an outlier on SB, since I have used Suunto computers on and off for over thirty years, without any issues, provided that the contacts always remained clean. All of the depth sensors jibed with my analogue gauges and other computers . . .
I'm with you, for the type of diving I'm doing now suunto Cobra 3 is more than adequate and reliable.

Bang for buck, I am happy

"Dear diving friends,

I have a Suunto Cobra as a backup. On my last dive I used it I noticed it stopped working. If the battery was replaced, it would work above water, but as soon as it was submerged, nothing more.

"When I got home I put the whole thing in an ultrasonic device to clean all the contacts. (of course in closed state).

"Great result, it works again, but when I turn it on it first shows "battery", then it comes to "dive mode", after ten minutes it jumps to date and clock. (all this on dry land)

"Everything perfect until here. The problem is now it's on this screen and won't turn off automatically after a certain amount of time.

"I can activate it again so that it comes back into "dive mode" and after ten minutes it goes back into vortex mode

Who has ever experienced this?"
Thanks for that. I tried to find a way to translate it but couldn't find it. there was button at the top of the browser at one time that said translate page, but I don't see it anymore.

My Suunto Cobra is 23 years old and is still going strong and it has never failed me.

Thanks for that. I tried to find a way to translate it but couldn't find it. there was button at the top of the browser at one time that said translate page, but I don't see it anymore.
Copy/paste the text into google translate. You don't even have to know what the language is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom