Suunto computer problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got 2 Suuntos (older models of) - Vytec (I don't have the transmitter) and Vyper. Both are running strong - as well as my Oceanic Veo 250. I'd recommend any of these computers.

I believe my Vytec to be the most sensitive and accurate, but I only download my Oceanic to my computer.

If anybody wants to part with a USB cable for my Suuntos - I might be interested.

My D9 died... while at the surface it began a dive on its own, finally stopped when it got to about 525 feet. I descended (was shore diving in about 20 feet) and it blinked for a while, then reverted to the time, and and then slowly the numbers faded away as it flooded. When I returned it to Suunto, they could not determine why it had flooded, and were further confused by an amount of very fine sand that was inside it. They indicated that they'd had a few D9s returned, all from Mexico, with the sand in them.

Several people I know with D9s have had similar problems, all around 300-350 dives on the computer.

I just bought a Cobra3. I hope it turns out OK :nervous:

I'll report back if not.

No problems. I have D9, Zoop, Helo2, D4

Buddy and I both bought D4's late 2009.

After having done about 50 dives, buddy's D4 decided about a week after being used for a dive to reset it's date back to April 2007 ?

We reset the date, but a couple of weeks later it had reset itself back again to April 2007, and a few days later same again back to April 2007 ? We contacted Suunto, they said change the battery.

So we did, new battery in buddys and mine ~ even though mine hadn't acted the same.

3rd dive after having new battery installed, just before dive noticed mine for the first time ever had changed it's date back to April 2007 ?

After resetting date, it logs the dives and times, in the order they occured, not by date, so can be lived with, but anyone else have that occur ?

The reset on the date happened on my husband's D9 several times, most of them prior to its failure when it went on a dive and just never stopped. It kept descending. He had that one replaced (I believe he's on his third). He had the problem again with number 2, and they suggested as with your experience, that the battery needed to be replaced.

I've had problems with the d9 as well, the screen started fading underwater and flickering wildly and the died, but then worked again on the surface. after sending it in for repairs they sent it back and 20 dives later it just died instantly, the screen went out and that was it.

My wife and I both have Suunto Cobra computers. We purchased them about 6 or 7 years ago or so from our local dealer. Mine crapped out after about a year or so and Suunto replaced it under warranty. I was not getting a correct depth reading. Showed 60 feet on surface and/or showed very incorrect or no reading. My wifes computer did the same thing on this last trip. At least she got air readings, but now both our $800+ computers have had the same problem and I'm pretty sure Suunto won't fix this one. Any suggestions on either getting this fixed or what we should buy in the future?
Thanks

Hi,
Just as a matter of interest has anybody out there had any problems with their Suunto computers recently? Things like depth reading innacurately, Computer thinking it's at depth on the surface, pernmanent errors.
My Suunto Vyper was working perfectly when I changed the battery. Now I get TEST 22 ....and that's all...a permanent TEST 22 on the screen. Does anyone know what this means? I have contacted Suunto tech support and they seem unwilling to tell me. They said the battery compartment must have gotten wet. Nope. Battery compartment is immaculate...and it was working perfectly before I did a normal battery change.
Yup. Not impressed with Suunto service. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Nick

Thanks for the replies,
I work in a dive centre and in the last few months we have had a large number of Suunto computers in showing these different problems, I was just wondering if this was a worldwide problem or just local to NZ.

I know this is an old thread, but were any of them the Suunto DX? Or was it even released back in 2011?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom