Suunto D4 vs. Oceanic Geo 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good call, but I definitely do not like diving in a huge group so that wouldn't be a problem for me, small groups all the way. I can't imagine diving with tons of people all around me, ick. But more importantly I don't want to be ignoring something that important. Is it possible to change that alarm? My friend has a Suunto Stinger and I haven't heard his go off at all and we have definitely gone into deco because he showed me how his watch screen changes.

And ya, I'm pretty small and very good with my air. After a 50 min dive I generally have half a tank left!

Gotcha, ya I'm a newish diver so a conservative watch wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Is it something you can ignore? Like will it beep at you once those 10mins of deco diving are up? I think it would be fine for me...I really just need to get a computer and start using it to better understand what everyone is talking about (ie it being conservative and all). I've heard similar things about the regular geo and am leaning towards d4. Thanks!

You should never ignore your computer (assuming it has not obviously malfunctioned).

Computers allow you to take advantage of reduced nitrogen obligation that comes from multi-level dives, and better evaluation of surface intervals. If you ignore the computer, you are at risk.

Dismissing the computer's NDL indication because it has too conservative of an algorithm, is similar to diving with only a depth gauge, watch, and "NDL by the seat of the pants" (not even the benefit of RD, 120 rule, or tables).

A computer's algorithm is part of the purchasing decision, which balances reliability, size, service, algorithm, features, and price. Personally I place the highest value on reliability, and the lowest on price.

Once you have picked a computer, I would council you to (quite literally!) live with what it tells you to do.

All the best, James

I too am looking at these two computers. How is the ease of use with each? I'm all about ease of use.

RTB_girl85 if your friend has a suunto it's probably a good idea to get one as well.

Ozwald both of them you could put on and go diving and using the function easy as well but the geo 2 manual is very bad.

drrich2 question is do you have the air to stay down that long. If you blow you limits and surface without the stops yes their going to end you dive for 24 hours.

Ya I wouldn't ignore it per se, just curious if there is a way to change it but I think I will go for the D4 regardless that it may be conservative. I was told that Suunto works with PADI when it constructs their computers so that their guidelines closely resemble those of PADIs and that Oceanic doesn't, hence they are more liberal. Not that PADI is god or anything but that is interesting to note and kind of makes me feel a bit safer with the D4. Thanks for all your input...now just have to find one to buy.

I am very happy with my Suunto, its manual and software. Even though it is conservative, I am even more conservative with a P-1 setting vs the normal P-0. Although I don't have the D4,(I have Vyper Air), it is still a Suunto product.

The only thing I don't like about the D4 is that I am a big fan of having the tank pressure shown on the computer. Makes it easier.

Got the Suunto D4 and I love it- haven't actually used it underwater tho yet haha, but I'm sure it will be great! Thanks for all the advice!

Ya I wouldn't ignore it per se, just curious if there is a way to change it but I think I will go for the D4 regardless that it may be conservative. I was told that Suunto works with PADI when it constructs their computers so that their guidelines closely resemble those of PADIs and that Oceanic doesn't, hence they are more liberal. Not that PADI is god or anything but that is interesting to note and kind of makes me feel a bit safer with the D4. Thanks for all your input...now just have to find one to buy.

This turns out not to be the case. Oceanic computers use an algorithm based on the DSAT/PADI algo. The Suunto is based on an Haldanian algo that's been hacked to operate something like the RGBM algo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom