Suunto D4i Hwerr:009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k1netic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey gang,

I've signed up to put this on the net so the next person that Google's it will hopefully find this answer.

Recently my d4i came up with "HWERR:009" on the screen during a dive.

The watch is outside of the 2 year warranty and even with a computer module replacement inside warranty last year suunto are not happy to extend the warranty from that day.

With that said I live in Fiji and with the cost of posting the watch to Europe plus minimum 35 euros for technicians to look at it I went for the old fashioned turn it off and on again approach first.

So I opened the back of the watch up, removed the battery, washed the o-ring applied lube and put it back together again.

Good as gold still working 5 dives later.

The only reference to HWERR:009 from a google search is suunto help forum which recommends sending the product to a service centre.

So there you go it may or may not help someone and you should think long and hard about opening up an expensive piece of equipment if you have other options or warranty left.

Cheers

Josh

Just as a follow up to this,

I received a message from another user saying that holding all 4 buttons performed a reset for the same problem, not specified if this is a hard or soft reset, but an option if you dont want to open the watch.

Still diving with the same watch, no other errors to report, all functions normal and compare it to another D4i and old Suunto Cobra frequently, depth and NDL are accurate.

Cheers

Josh

I know it's an old thread but yesterday somebody brought a Suunto D4i for service that had the infamous "HWERR:009" on the display and would respond to any button. I tried the "reset" trick on it, that is pressing all four buttons simultaneously and, after thinking for a while the computer display gave me a "low battery" message. Open it up, installed a fresh battery and a new Oring and everything seemed to be working. Took it to the water pressure chamber and tested it to 163 feet with no problem whatsoever. The test dive was recorded in the log as the last dive (as it should be) and also did not lose any of the previous dives. Problem solved!

It's been coming up a lot lately in my dive centre with the Zoop Novos'. Same old story, we send them back to the dealer, they're fine for a day and then they go back into the HW Error 9 mode after a single dive.

With the older Zoop models, the old "press all 4-buttons" used to do the trick and it would reset itself while maintaining the history with no issues thereafter. Unfortunately, none of the usual tricks with the Novos' seem to have the same effect anymore...even with a new battery change.

I did contact Suunto in Finland about it and all I got for my troubles was "send it back to the dealer". This is despite telling Suunto that sending it back to the dealer didn't change a thing.

Looks like I'm sending the next one back to the dealer too. =(

The good old "Stinger" days are long gone when Suunto used to have a far superior after-sales service.

Bulldog: Have you tried updating the firmware on your Zoop's from the Suunto DM5 online Application? Maybe there is a newer firmware version available for your Zoops. All you need to do is download the App from Suunto website and have the correct interface cable.

We replaced over 35 Zoop Novos in our rental fleet. That error is a fatal one on the new Zoop Novo. Suunto replaced them all. It will be a cold day in July before one of our instructors will recommend one of them to their students.

Bulldog, I understand once you connect your Suunto to your computer through the correct interface, the new Suunto DM5 will tell you right away if there is a new version of the firmware for your computer and offer the option to download it. Good luck.

Bulldog: Have you tried updating the firmware on your Zoop's from the Suunto DM5 online Application? Maybe there is a newer firmware version available for your Zoops. All you need to do is download the App from Suunto website and have the correct interface cable.

Hi Doc,

Just letting everyone keeping this thread active that there was no available update but I re-downloaded the software anyway in a hope that maybe it would somehow kick back in to normal mode...unfortunately it didn't. Thus with this particular Zoop Novo it does look like an actual module issue.

I do hope Suunto sort this out soon - it is a repetitive issue with these new line of Zoops.

Anyway, just pretty much passing by to say "Thanks" for the advice Doc. It is appreciated even if we didn't solve this issue this time around.

Safe diving everyone!

We replaced over 35 Zoop Novos in our rental fleet. That error is a fatal one on the new Zoop Novo. Suunto replaced them all. It will be a cold day in July before one of our instructors will recommend one of them to their students.
Starting to happen to ours as well! Does anyone know what that error code refers to? Is the depth sensor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom