Suunto Dive Manager Bug/Suggestion List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WileEDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've been collecting a list of fixes and improvements I'd like to see made to Suunto's Dive Manager software. Before trying to submit it to them, I thought I'd see if any of you would like to add to this list. Some of my complaints have to do with the software not behaving like a "normal" Windows application, and others have to do with the nature of the application itself.

Bug/Suggestion List for Suunto Dive Manager Software
  1. After pasting text, the cursor stays before the newly pasted text. This runs contrary to all standard Windows applications that support pasting cut or copied text. The cursor should move to the end of the newly pasted text.
  2. Managing a dive’s gear list is very buggy and seemingly unpredictable. Sometimes when you add gear, say “OK”, and then re-open that dive, all of the gear disappears from the gear list. And although you the software lets you insert and delete gear on the “Dive Gear” tab, when you close that dive and then reopen it, the gear isn’t as you left it. Sometimes inserted gear goes away if there was gear there already. Deleting items makes the items change in a very strange way. Deleting all items and re-adding all gear at the same time seems to be the only thing that works.
  3. When you “Cancel” out of the “Update Dive” window, you should not be prompted “Do you want to save the changes to this record?”. [Worse yet, this prompt appears even if you didn’t make changes to this record.]
  4. It would be very nice to have “Previous” and “Next” buttons on the “Update Dive” window as there are in the “Graph” window.
  5. Along those lines, in the “Graph” window, when at the first dive, the “Previous” button should be disabled (grayed-out) and when at the last dive, the “Next” button should be disabled.
  6. Double-clicking on the window icon of the “Dive Log” window, the “Update Dive” window, and the “Graph” window should close that window. [Note: double-clicking on the main “Dive Manager” application window’s icon does properly close the “Dive Manager” application.]
  7. Sometimes the color shading of the “Dive” column doesn’t change shading color when the dive series starts over at “1”. This results in adjacent dive series being the same color.
  8. Why not use that color shading across the entire row of the “Dives” window and not just for the “Dive” column?
    [/list=1]
    I know that there have been other threads about this topic in the past, but the ones I saw seemed to contain general gripes ("I don't like ..."). Let's see if we can ask for specific behavior or display changes and see if we can get some action from them.

Thanks.

I don't have it right in front of me but I remember few bugs in dive planning:
- when you want do edit dive, your profile disapears
- when you edit a dive, sometimes it's added as new one

Good list.

BTW, the dive gear bag bug has been fixed. If you ask they'll send you a fix. Otherwise I'm sure it will show up in the next release.

First, welcome to ScubaBoard. Second, fill out yer profile :)

Third, here's some gripes off the top of my head...

1. Window resizing is weird
2. Selection of columns you can display is limited compared to the available fields in the details windows
3. Saved user-defined dropdown list options hard to edit
4. Profile graph should be exportable as a jpg/gif
5. Printing formats should be user-customisable to allow the dive to be printed in more of a logbook format

I know that technically this isn't correct, but I'd always wanted to be able to combine two seperate dives into one.

I realize that remaining on the surface for more than 3 minutes technically constitutes a surface interval and therefore descending again technically constitutes another dive, but I'd like the option to log it as a continuation of the previous dive.

Doof once bubbled...
I know that technically this isn't correct, but I'd always wanted to be able to combine two seperate dives into one.

Agreed. I've done them manually in the past [by taking the profile from the 'second' dive, and manually adding to the first dive then hiding the second dive], but the one I tried to do from saturday flipped out and acted like I went to the surface between each 20 second sample.

# Why not use that color shading across the entire row of the “Dives” window and not just for the “Dive” column?

This would be annoying, as the highlight of the color shaded ones make so it can't be read. I can handle not being able to read the dive series number, but not being able to read any of it when highlighted would be annoying.

I would like a way to reorder the printing of the pages, so I can print 1,3,2,4. That way I can print 2-up, double sided and get them in order when I cut the pages in half.

I would like a way to change the dynamics of a tank and have it applied throughout the log. e.g. when I realized my tanks were 77.7 instead of 80, I had to go through and manually change them. And this weekend when I realized I put 77.7 instead of 77.4, I _really_ want a way to reapply as there is a hell of a lot more dives I have to re-calculate now!

I've got a number of other complaints as well, but I probably won't remember them until I get back into the swing of regularly scheduled diving...

Spectre once bubbled...

Agreed. I've done them manually in the past [by taking the profile from the 'second' dive, and manually adding to the first dive then hiding the second dive], but the one I tried to do from saturday flipped out and acted like I went to the surface between each 20 second sample.

Big yes on this one. I've tried combining dives twice now. The first time I did it I also got he green lines showing returing to the surface between each sample. The second time it worked out fine. And the worst part is I don't know what I did differently, if anything.

I would also like to see better print controls - trying to get it to print in a 8.5 x 5.5 format doesn't work.

Marc

in the "simulator" mode:
If one adds to the simulation profile several zeros at the end of the dive (myself, when I finish a dive I usually find myself at this depth :) ) then you can see how the tissue graphs begin to climb up towards the red zone (DCS??).
I find this bug when I tried to compare the difference between two dives in a sequence with, say 20 minutes break, or putting these two profiles in a single dive with 20 minutes at depth "0" separating them. I am currently using version 1.4.

Another thing that I wasn't able to reproduce in the simulator is the "warning triangle". I was really curious to see why I get this one on some dives, but whatever I tried to do, never got it in simulation mode.

I also find annoying that the *.vpr files contain only the profiles and some minor data fields, so importing these files usually do not contain additional information on dive site, buddies, location etc. On the opposite side, one cannot export the dive profiles themselves, but only the text information. It was nice if one could combine this information together both in import/export.

If so, I could write my own software interface and dive profiler.....

If you know, pls send it to me.

Thanks,

Sean

vicky once bubbled...
Another thing that I wasn't able to reproduce in the simulator is the "warning triangle". I was really curious to see why I get this one on some dives, but whatever I tried to do, never got it in simulation mode.
The triangles in version 1.4 dive manager software:
Yellow (pointing up): A decompression ceiling first appeared.
Pink (pointing down): The diver ascended above the decompression ceiling.
Red with exclamation point (pointing up): "Dive attention mark".... I think it means too short a surface interval to keep the computer happy. I get these on second or third dives, with only an hour or less on the surface.
Green (pointing down): The diver changed gas mixture during the dive.

scubasean once bubbled...
Anyone know the serial transfer format and commands?
One of these links may put you on the right track (My appologies in advance, if you cook your computer)....
http://www.aquadivelog.org/readme_suunto_dc.html
http://www.aquadivelog.org/readme_suunto_dc.html#links
http://www.physics.utoledo.edu/~igor/Suunto2Clie.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom