Suunto Dive Manager Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beasleym

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Suunto Cobra and just love it. It's worked flawlessly for years and I trust it completely. Some people think Suunto's algorithms to be too conservative but I'm very comfortable with it's feedback.

One of the reasons I bought into Suunto was the dive manager software.

The bottom line is that this is probably the most atrocious software I've ever used. Over the past 3 years it's database has been corrupted at least 3 times, upgrades have trashed information I've input, multiple times upgrades have failed, the download cannot find 5 dives that are on the Cobra, and several other problems. Also, the user interface is hard to use, and the fact that it's set up for multiple users makes it clumsy.

I find it hard to believe that my notebook is the problem. It's new, first line equipment with the latest software and is always kept up-to-date. I maintain it and I'm no neophyte. (I'm a retired Intel engineer with hardware and software design experience, plus I spent 20+ years as a system admin and software programmer on Microsoft and other systems.)

My questions: Are there other members out there using Suunto's Dive Manager and what experiences are you having? There are lots of Suunto users, but do you use the software?

Even though I love the Cobra, personally I've about had it with Suunto. As soon as I can afford it my Cobra will be for sale here or on Ebay and the replacement won't be a Suunto. The stories about Suunto support I've heard and their ongoing support of software tells me they just don't give a damn.

I bought the suunto vyper about 5 yrs ago

I started using sdm 1.4 version and upgraded to 1.6 without any problem. I tought it was a crappy software and had so many ideas to ameliorate it (but I aint a software designer).

I was happy when I learned the 2.x version was available but when I downloaded it, my smile quickly dissappeared.

I tried to export my sdm 1.6 data to the 2.x. Most of the data didn,t transfer correctly or at all. Dates were corrupted, data that I had entered was lost, etc. It was a real pain.

so I stopped using 2.x and resumed using 1.6 which is not that bad after all... for a bad software...

I like the fact that dive logs can be saved as separate files in version 1.6. I like it's simplicity.

I wont use any other version unless they find a correct way to export all my informations from 1.6

SDM is a truly awful bit of software.

Version 1 is a hell of a lot better than version 2 although thats not saying a lot.

The ONLY advantage v2 has is the database is standard access format. Im in the middle of working out its format so i can construct my own log programme that will read the d9.mdb file.

Pity really, good computers but absolutely terrible software.

I'm staying with SDM 1.6 for the same reasons (2.X is much worse). At least you can export your log data from SDM 1.x into standard CSV format and than import it into something better.

For the last few years I'm only using SDM 1.X to download data from my computer after every few dives, then exporting it immediately into CVS to upload to extremeprofile.

Quick update:
Spent the evening looking at different diving log software. The web based solutions are interesting, but I prefer to choose how I share information.

Found several different programs and downloaded them to try out. In the end I found that several required using Suunto software and then transfering the data. A few had direct download, but one didn't even work though it was listed as the number 1 rated software (it also had the highest price and wasn't as good as the others by my reckoning).

In the end Dive Log 4.0 looked the best. It has a couple of unique features including statisitcs and customizable print logs with samples. Great user interface, and the price is reasonable (29 Euros via Paypal). If you're interested visit Diving Log 4.0 - Scuba Log, Dive Log, Divelog - Logbook software for scuba diving - Logbuch Software zum Tauchen.

I also have stayed with ver 1.6. Anything later truly sucks.....

Got stuck with v. 2.0 when I bought the USB cable. In this day and age software this pathetic is truly a disappointment. Especially considering how much other good gear Suunto makes.

I'm trying out MacDiveLog:
DiveLog

and so far so good. But I think that's it for Suunto compatible Mac software ... ?

Henrik

I use Diving Log 4.x and tried many demos before settling on that one. I like that it is based on simple Access and you can get at your data by other means - both manually and programatically - if need be. I like that you can set templates and defaults to reduce redundant data entry. I like that it directly imports from my Suunto.

But most of all I like that it's developer (Sven) is actively developing the application based on user input, and can be found on his user forums board on a daily basis. This is not a big corporate venture with bureaucratic double-speak. If you have a problem, he'll tell you how to fix it or admit it if he can't. If you have a suggestion, he'll tell you if he if can or will implement it or not, not give you a form letter reply "thank you for your input, blah blah blah".

I went through the frustrations of using SDM for awhile, starting out with v1.6 which was really bad, then upgraded to v2.0 which was really really horrible, then back to 1.6. Only the second time in my life an "upgrade" was so bad I went back to an older version.

someone should send this link to Suunto. I will when I get the time. Not that they'll care but at least, i'll feel better :wink:

Same story here....went from 1.4 to 1.6 to 2.x back to 1.6 and am dealing with a minor corruption when I try to IGNORE dives that I don't want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom