suunto favor -- what's it doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonk999

Contributor
Reaction score
So on a recent dive, my Suunto Favor Air started giving me 3 readings for tank pressure with accompanying beeps. Was 2nd dive of the day (1st to 80, this one to 60). About 1/2 way through dive, computer starts beeping. I look at it, and it is cycling through 3 tank pressure readings, e.g. 700, 900, 1100 (it's beeping because one reading is less than 750psi). The highest reading is the one that seems more plausible, given previous glances at the gauge. Question: what's it trying to tell me? Or was it not working properly? During ascent, it seemed to return to normal, and after a safety stop, I exited with about 500psi.

A related question: what exactly is the computer calculating for "air time". At points during the dive, with 1000+ psi, it gave an airtime of 1, which didn't make much sense. Can't remember any correlation with the other problem mentioned above. Could've been.

-Simon

I use Suunto computers (stinger and Cobra) and I have no idea what the triple reading is about. I think its time for some warranty (or out of warranty) work to be done on your computer. Battery may be low and the circuits are acting up? who knows? but I would have it serviced before using it again.
As for the airtime remaining, it is calculated based on the average amount of air being consumed from the cylinder in given period of time. Key point being is air consumed from the cylinder. If you just added air your BC than that is factored into the consumption rate calculation, which fools the computer into thinking your consumption rate has increased, and it lowers your airtime remaining. Also the computer shows no airtime remaining after 500psi. i.e. 500 psi is out of air to the computer.

My LDS diagnosed this problem as being the result of a partially opened tank valve.

What is conjectured to have happened is that as the tank got lower in pressure, the not-completely-opened valve started having trouble supplying constant pressure given the pressure drop caused by breathing. In other words, taking a breath used up the air downstream from the valve, which then took slightly longer than normal to refill, causing the pressure sensor to read low temporarily.

As an aside, this is another reminder to check your own valve -- silly me, I relied on the boat crew who set up the 2nd tank to properly open the valve.

-Simon

??? Interesting ???

You say it was the suunto Favor??? Air??

silly me... I feel left out in the dark... didn't know suunto had another air integrated computer other than the cobra and soon to be releases vytec......

how old is the unit?? just out of curiosity

It was a Favor Air that screwed up its readings on our Cayman trip last week.
It too was an air pressure error problem.
In answer to your question - it's broken.
Rick

My particular Favor is a few years old. Perhaps it's time for a new one...

Back
Top Bottom