Suunto Transmitter Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sh@rkW@tcher

supreme yak diver in charge
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am having problems with my Suunto Vytec DS transmitter. First of all I'm going through a battery every 6 months. Granted I do lot of diving (about 200 dives /yr),but this seems like awefully short battery life. Also, recently the transmitter has become unreliable in pairing to the point that I've started carrying an SPG as a backup. Has anyone else had these probelms with Suunto? Is 6 months the expected battery life? The transmitter is out of warranty and EXPENSIVE to replace (~$400). Should I send it back to the factory and take a chance?

Mike

I am having problems with my Suunto Vytec DS transmitter. First of all I'm going through a battery every 6 months. Granted I do lot of diving (about 200 dives /yr),but this seems like awefully short battery life. Also, recently the transmitter has become unreliable in pairing to the point that I've started carrying an SPG as a backup. Has anyone else had these probelms with Suunto? Is 6 months the expected battery life? The transmitter is out of warranty and EXPENSIVE to replace (~$400). Should I send it back to the factory and take a chance?

Mike

I answered a similar post yesterday, I think, as I have had this problem for years. My first Vytec failed to link numerous times, was sent to the factory and to the factory's rep in Tampa repeatedly but continued to fail sporadically and at the worst possible times. Finally I bought a second Vytec (I can be persistent sometimes), thinking the first to be a "lemon", and this one too began to give me problems. Recently my wife and I were diving the Speigel and both failed - I switched to a brass and glass gauge and she called the dive. We now both use the spg's as our permanent equipment and have totally given up on the Suunto transmitter technology. Suunto claimed operator error but I have had two Cobras, two Vytecs, and also have an Oceanic VT3. The Oceanic has never failed but I prefer the info and display of the Suunto wrist unit so I continue to use their computer which has caused me no problem whatsoever (other than linking with the transmitter). I did try making frequent battery changes in the transmitter but this did not solve the problem. Also tried different "start up" methods as the directions are a little fuzzy - no luck here either. I have heard numerous other complaints and usually from people who dive a lot (DM's etc). Good luck with this. I am real happy with the gauge and this has taken a lot of pressure off me, no longer wondering: will the damn thing link? have I started it up too soon? is it reading properly? do I have a back up.

I have a Vyper Air and it failed to pair, I spend ages before the dive pressing every button on the computer before I finally read the manual! I had left the air pressure on, the transmitter seems to only try to pair when it is switched on, which happens when it detects air pressure. I then shut the tank valve, dumped any residual pressure by purging the second stage, got the console in 'start dive' mode, held it within 2cm of the transmitter, turned the air on, beep beep, no problem. The thing that foxed me was that it's the transmitter detecting pressure which starts the pairing, not any combination of button presses on the console. Then again it sounds from your posts as if you probably did all that anyway........

I have the same issue... it pairs and then by the time Im in the water the transmitter turns off. I wrote to the factory and they say, it should just start again once underwater and using air. It does not. I either get 'fail' or "off".

First of all I'm going through a battery every 6 months. Granted I do lot of diving (about 200 dives /yr),but this seems like awefully short battery life. Also, recently the transmitter has become unreliable in pairing to the point that I've started carrying an SPG as a backup. Has anyone else had these probelms with Suunto? Is 6 months the expected battery life?
I bought mine used, did not know how new the battery was, but it lasted 2+ years. Second battery lasted almost 2 years. Third battery a little over a year. Current battery failing after 9 months. As for syncing issues, mine usually go away after a battery change. I wouldn't send an out of warranty transmitter 'back to the factory', as I don't think you will get anything other than, 'This unit is no longer covered under the original warranty.'

Two months later, lots of diving in between, and I am still much happier having dumped the transmitter for a spg. Wonder if Suunto still thinks there is no problem.

I tried a second transmitter I borrowed off a friend and tested it in the pool last night... worked like a charm. I wonder if Suunto have a run of dud transmitters?

I will test it in the sea a few times over the coming days to make sure its all go!

My transmitter hasn't given me any problems, but i'm diving with a D9. Have the tried the transmitter with a different computer? I always carry a backup gauge with me either way. Although today my backup gauge failed me and my D9 saved me. Made me smile.

Trying with another computer is a good idea, I will do that next pool session. I may try changing the battery even though there is no error... they are very hard to get in NZ though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom