Suunto Vyper questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
CONGRATS!! Bringing new divers into the world.. how altruistic!

Thanks, just trying to do my part :)

asckar:
Getting back to one of your original questions, I'm not so sure that you can just pop the wrist mount out of it's boot (like a puck) if you purchased the Vyer within the past few months. I bought a Vyper wrist mount in January and when I tried to pop it out of it's mount to put it in a console I found that the strap was attached to the actual unit itself and that it wasn't just round (puck-like) but contoured to fit the wrist mount. The wrist mount isn't working out for me for various reasons and I find myself in a position to have to purchase a console unit and sell the wrist mount. I just thought that I could pop out the wrist unit and drop it in a console but alas, this doesn't seem to be the case, so going by previous responses, I don't know if I'm missing something or what. If others can weigh in on this I would appreciate it very much.
Adam

ClayJar has it correct. I bought the wrist bands and holder so I could take my Vyper out of the console and convert it to wrist mount. A paper clip will push the pin back so the wrist strap will come out. First it has to be taken out of the holder which will have the straps sticking through it. Then the ears are exposed that has the pins.

Could I jump in here? A question was asked about "how" conservative the Vypers (or Suunto's) are? I use a wrist Vyper, love it. However, I have heard from many sources that it IS conservative, but just how much? If we are talking a few minutes, as in the example posted, or are we talking 10 or more on a dive?

diverdowndh:
Could I jump in here? A question was asked about "how" conservative the Vypers (or Suunto's) are? I use a wrist Vyper, love it. However, I have heard from many sources that it IS conservative, but just how much? If we are talking a few minutes, as in the example posted, or are we talking 10 or more on a dive?

I'm going to assume you aren't actually interested in the model that the computer is running, but suffice it to say, at most you'll probably have a couple of minutes less NDL than those with "less conservative" computers. Now, violate the RGBM recommeneded ascent rate and be prepared to have your NDLs shaved considerably. I dive a Vyper and tend to be among the first in the water and among the last out. Most divers seem to be air or time limited, not NDL limited. In the 70-110' range, dive Nitrox if you're worried about NDLs. Much shallower and I get bored before hitting NDLs. Much deeper and the dives should be planned much differently.

diverdowndh:

Depends on the dive. Each of the models treats depth, time, repetitive diving, and even gas chosen, slightly differently. I did two dives yesterday with a diver using a Dive Rite Nitek3 or HE, and on repetitive dives, of about 40 minutes, our stops were exactly the same. We were both well inside NDL though.

From what I've gleaned reading various reports, it seems as if the conservatism of Suunto computers isn't really *that* significant (i.e. a couple minutes) on normal dives. It also seems (and this is pure hearsay, of course) that when you get into deco, the difference increases considerably. I can't tell you whether that's true, but when I have seen Suuntos complained about most vociferously, it has been with reference to deco stops.

ClayJar:
From what I've gleaned reading various reports, it seems as if the conservatism of Suunto computers isn't really *that* significant (i.e. a couple minutes) on normal dives. It also seems (and this is pure hearsay, of course) that when you get into deco, the difference increases considerably. I can't tell you whether that's true, but when I have seen Suuntos complained about most vociferously, it has been with reference to deco stops.

On a few deeper dives (110-120') where I was intentionally pushing NDLs, I've put my Vyper into deco (initially showing about six minutes of deco). It all cleared by about 50% depth. I had plenty of gas regardless. No idea what happens with greater deco "penalties". For actual deco dives, just put the thing into gauge mode.

I have done one real deco dive with the vyper in computer mode. A 94 minute dive with a max depth of 95ft. I hit mandatory deco about 65 minutes into the dive. It was last fall sometime, but I think it cleared me in about 5 minutes or so at about 20ft. It was my only dive of the day, so I don't know what it would have done for a repetitive profile after that dive. But we had two divers on VR3s, and one on a VR2, and I don't know what the fifth diver was wearing. We all cleared at nearly the same time. I think the VR3 folks cleared 1 minute before me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom