Suunto Vyper & Vytec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, after a lot of people recommending the Vyper, I decided to add a little more and get the Vytec (w/o the transmitter).

This is my first dive computer, and so far..it's very simple and straightforward. I've been playing with the simulator modes to get familiar with all the alarms and icons of the thing.

Now, there's one thing I'm confused about...and the manual isn't as detailed as I'd like it to be... in either the Vyper or Vytec... can you PLAN a multi-level dive? Or does it just do a single level dive? Of course it isn't really an issue since this is a computer and it calculates NDL time on-the-fly... but I was hoping to also use it on the surface as a substitute for the 'wheel' to plan the dive, just as a general reference.

There is no way to plan either a multilevel dive, nor one that has gas switches in it on the Vytec.

That is one of its major shortcomings - particularly the latter, if you intend to do any intentional deco diving with a gas switch.

Oh ok! Thanks! I don't really think it's a shortcoming... it's a pretty full-featured recreational dive computer if you ask me. It clearly states in the manual that it's not meant for tech or commercial dives.

I think it's pretty cool that Suunto added the gas switching function.

As a recreational diver, you're not really supposed to push the limits and do deco dives anyway. It's just nice to know that the computer can handle it during a dive.

Any serious deco dive should be planned ahead with tables and with redundant systems (Maybe a Nitek or something)... although some 'reviews' have claimed the Vytec is already pretty capable.

I personally wouldn't plan my dive (ndl or deco) on the computer itself... it's too clumsy with only 3 buttons to work with.

I do like the dive simulator though :p I've been trying all possible scenarios with it... and trying to see all the alarms it can do! hehehe... sorry if it sounds stupid... but this is my first computer and I really wanna get familiar with all the controls and displays it has. :)

J, I'm glad someone around here realizes that these are recreational dive computers and offer a wide variety of features for the money. My wristwatch cost me more that the vyper does.

you could also somewhat plan a multilevel dive with the vyper using the sim mode if you already know what your profile will pretty well be. Nothing to completely rely on since its just a simulation, but it helps.

Oh ok! Thanks! I don't really think it's a shortcoming... it's a pretty full-featured recreational dive computer if you ask me. It clearly states in the manual that it's not meant for tech or commercial dives.

As a recreational diver, you're not really supposed to push the limits and do deco dives anyway. It's just nice to know that the computer can handle it during a dive.

I agree that the gas switching is cool for things like bailout, but do understand that this is all its really good for.

For instance, if you carry a pony bottle full of air, but are diving Nitrox, and have to switch due to a primary failure, you can switch the Suunto on the fly and by doing so at least have a proper ascent profile.

But where Suunto has missed the boat with this is their "warning", while permitting FO2s of up to 99%! If that isn't promoting the computer as a "full decompression computer" (and by the way, they DO advertise it as that) I don't know what is.

BTW, I dive (and very much like) a Vytec.

It will allow you to grow, as a diver, and still be able to use it for more complicated tasks than pure, single gas, recreational diving.

Good choice. The possibility to add a transmitter is also very nice.

Ari :)

I have and like the wireless pressure integration. I've had zero trouble with it, it gets a hose off my kit, and it puts all my dive information in one place on my right wrist.

jplacson once bubbled...

As a recreational diver, you're not really supposed to push the limits and do deco dives anyway.

Yeah Genesis. You shouldn't be pushing the limits and doing deco dives!!

I'm gonna get in trouble with the scuba police! :wink:

his post was purely to state that the vyper and cobra are designed for recreational divers and as such should really only be used on recreational dives. Nothing at all wrong with his post.

We all have the responsibility to make our own decisions. Guys that get too cocky about their safety when diving are those that don't ever come back up on their own. You can use both for decompression dives, but in the manual it hints that you shouldn't do "planned deco" dives with it. Its more as an aid for when you screw up.

It's not the scuba police you should worry about... its your own death. Laugh all you want... there's a lot of families missing people because of divers that thought they knew everything. Its funny how people just don't care til it happens to them... Remember 9-11? Talking about someone blowing up a building in the middle east wasn't that big of a deal before that day either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom