Swam with first manta ray!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So today started pretty bad with some college research getting canceled last minute when I was already on my way. So with all my snorkel stuff in the car I head to South ft lauderdale area and decide to go look at some reefs for lobster.
Vis was a little sketchy to start with maybe 5' but once on the reef it got to 15-20' at times. So after looking under tons of coral heads with no lobster to account for I decide to just enjoy the surroundings instead. I spotted a octopus scatter under a ledge so I go down to watch him for a little. On my way back to the surface I do my usual 360 degree turn around to see my surroundings and I spot a black figure about 20' in the distance so I keep my eye on it to see what it is and it just keeps coming towards me and that's when I noticed it was about a 10-12ft manta ray!
I swam with him for about 15 minutes to embrace it's beauty. I know many people see these guys but I feel lucky seeing one within my first 6 months of regularly freediving. Just wanted to share my first manta sighting with the forums.

Yeah, I've seen maybe a dozen or so, but they were like 8 ft across max.. never big ones..

Cool story....I've only seen 2 in Florida and neither were as the big one you saw. Thanks for sharing

I seen one about 4-5 yrs ago out fishing on Deerfield pier that was about 20ft wide. Thing had 20+ cobia on it and 6 were caught lol

you never know what your going to see when in the ocean...congrats of a bucket list accomplishment.........

Awesome. I saw my first and only a year and a half ago off the beach. Been diving since 1993...

Awesome experience for you Nick. I have not had the fortune to encounter a Manta in the Atlantic or Caribbean. I did have the opportunity to do a night Manta dive in Kona last year that was an amazing experience. I have included a few of my favorite pictures.

Manta 6.jpg Manta 13.jpg Manta 14.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom